Have a question about Augsburg? Ask a local resident for special Augsburg insider tips ...
In case you have a specific question for Augsburg or would like a Augsburg insider tip from one of our local property owners and Augsburg experts. Simply add your question and enter your email address. You will typically receive responses from us soon, in many cases within less than 24 hours! Please note: We do not share your email address with with anyone. Responses will solely be sent from us.
Previously asked Augsburg questions and answers:
Here is a list of Augsburg questions that were already answered by our local residents and property owners. Please browse through them. In case you still have a question that is not answered here please use the form above.
- Cultural & History
- Don't do this
- Evening - Going out
- Getting Around
- Local Events
- Local Food Specialties
- Local Travel Tips
- Points of Interest
- Sports & Leisure
Where can one get a great breakfast in the morning?
Are there any cultural highlights, museums?
Ideas for 2-3 activities and daytrips?
Good restaurants for dinner?
Typical tourist activities or places that one should NOT do, as they are not worthwhile doing.
Things can do to make it a fun and memorable evening?
How to get around and find best means of local transportation?
Where to find good quality groceries?"Gruss Dich! I would like to know where one can purchase fat free greek yogurt in Augsburg. Thanks" (posted 01/03/2015)
Are there any special local events?"Hi, we are from Malta and we are visiting Augsburg in Christmas. Can You tell me please at what time the Christmas Eve Mass begins?" (posted 09/05/2014)
Are there any local food specialties one should try out?
What makes this destination special? Why should one spend some time here during vacation?"Was stationed there in 1966-1967(Sheridan Kasserne). Hope to come over and visit this summer. What is the best time to come over? Know Sheridan is no longer there. " (posted 01/18/2017)
Is there a good local deli or restaurant with lunch menu?
Are there any points of interest or local attractions?"Hi, I am a devotee of Mary Untier of Knots, which is in the Perlach Church. I would like to visit the town sometime Feb and March this year. Just wondering if the painting is on view all the time and if the Church is open all the time? Also, what would be other nice towns or areas to include in our visit? Thanks." (posted 01/10/2016)
What are good places to go for shopping?
Any sporting activites and recommendations to stay active?"Hi We are a family of 4 and plan to visit Augsburg around 19/20 July. The white water rafting looks great. Can we do this or swim in the water (saw a video with individuals jumping in). My son is 16 and my daughter 14. All the family are good swimmers. Many thanks Dave Clarke, England" (posted 06/28/2015)
Questions around the weather, different seasons, ...
Popular Points of Interest in and near Augsburg
Roman Catholic Diocese of Augsburg
Diocese of Augsburg is a diocese of the Catholic Church in Germany. The diocese is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Munich.
According to the acts of the martyrdom of St. Afra, who with her handmaids suffered at the stake for Christ, there existed in Augsburg early in the fourth century a Christian community under Bishop Narcissus. St. Dionysius, uncle of St. Afra, is mentioned as his Successor.
The Fuggerei is known as a
city within a cityand is still managed by the Fugger family foundation as it was at the time of its beginning. In 1521, Jakob Fugger the Rich and his brothers founded what is now the oldest social settlement in the world for Augsburgers who had fallen into hardship (and who practiced the Catholic faith). The settlement is comprised of 67 houses with 140 apartments, a church and a fountain. Even today, annual rent is the equivalent of one Rhinish Gulden, about 0.88 euros. House rules still dictate that every day residents must recite The Lord’s Prayer in honor of the settlement’s founders.
The Fuggerei can be visited daily for a small admission fee. The admission price includes a visit to the museum, which displays an apartment preserved in the original style and features an exhibition about the Fugger family history.
Hours: April - September: 8am - 8pm. October - March 9am - 6pm.
The Fuggerei can be visited daily for a small admission fee. The admission price includes a visit to the museum, which displays an apartment preserved in the original style and features an exhibition about the Fugger family history.
[ source: Historic Highlights of Germany ]
The Maximilian Museum lies in the heart of Augsburg’s lively pedestrian zone between the Town Hall and St. Anne’s Church. It is housed in two 15/16th century upper middle class residences that were joined at the end of the 17th century. Three of the original ceiling frescoes have survived; important works of the artist Melchior Steidl. In 1856, one year after the opening of Augsburg’s oldest museum, King Maximilian II of Bavaria assumed patronage of the museum and granted it his name. Today the Maximilian Museum is part of the Municipal Museums and Art Collections. Its more than 30 rooms contain sculpture, decorative art and items pertaining to Augsburg’s cultural heritage. Highlights in the collection include works from Augsburg gold- and silversmiths. Significant works in the sculpture collection include a statue of a female saint by Hans Multscher (ca. 1437) and Sebastian Loscher’s 1513 depiction of St. Sebastian as well as a
Fountain Ladby Adriaen de Vries (ca. 1600) and several works from the early-baroque Augsburg sculptor Georg Petel. In 2000, in honor of the Adriaen de Vries Exhibition, the courtyard was topped with a glass roof and it now serves as a permanent, protected home for the original sculptures from Augsburg’s monumental fountains.
Hours: Tuesday: 10am - 8pm. Wednesday until Sunday: 10am - 5pm.
St. Anne's Church, Augsburg
St. Ann's Church in Augsburg, Germany, is a medieval church building that was originally part of a monastery built in 1321. It is notable for its elaborate interior decoration.
St. Anne's was built in 1321 by Carmelite monks. In 1518 Martin Luther stayed there with the Carmelite friars when he was staying in Augsburg to meet the papal legate, Cardinal Cajetan, who wanted Luther to submit to the pope. The church converted to Lutheranism in 1545.
The Schaezlerpalais is a town house in Augsburg, now used to house the Deutsche Barockgalerie.
St. Ulrich's and St. Afra's Abbey (Augsburg)
St. Ulrich's and St. Afra's Abbey, Augsburg (German: Kloster Sankt Ulrich und Afra Augsburg) is a former Benedictine abbey dedicated to Saint Ulrich and Saint Afra in the south of the old city in Augsburg, Bavaria.
The Benedictine monastery was preceded by an original foundation established at an uncertain date, but at least as early as the 10th century (and in its turn quite possibly a refoundation of a still earlier one from the 5th or 6th centuries), by the "Kollegiatstift St. Afra", a community of the priests charged with the care of St Afra's Church (now the Basilica of Saints Ulrich and Afra), where the relics of Saint Afra were venerated, and next door to which the community premises were built.
Between 1006 and 1012, Bruno, Bishop of Augsburg, removed the canons to the cathedral chapter and gave the premises to Benedictine monks whom he brought from Tegernsee Abbey, thus turning it into a Benedictine monastery. It was granted Imperial immediacy (German: Reichsfreiheit) as an Imperial abbey in 1577, but this status was bitterly contested by the bishops of Augsburg, and the legal conflict was resolved in favour of the abbey only in 1643/44.
The abbey was dissolved in 1802 during the secularisation of Bavaria. The city of Augsburg and the state of Bavaria divided its territory between them. The monks however were permitted to remain in the premises of the dissolved monstery. In 1805 a French military hospital was installed here; after six monks, including the abbot, had died of infectious diseases, the remainder moved into a private house. The hospital was replaced in 1807 by a Bavarian cavalry barracks, known as the "Ulrichskaserne".
The barracks remained here until World War II, when in 1944 the buildings were largely destroyed. The remains were not cleared until 1968–71. On the site the "Haus St. Ulrich" has stood since 1975, an academy and pastoral centre of the Diocese of Augsburg. The sarcophaguses of Saint Afra and Saint Ulrich are preserved in the crypt.
Peace of Augsburg
The Peace of Augsburg, also called the Augsburg Settlement, was a treaty between Charles V and the forces of the Schmalkaldic League, an alliance of Lutheran princes, on September 25, 1555, at the imperial city of Augsburg, now in present-day Bavaria, Germany.
It officially ended the religious struggle between the two groups and made the legal division of Christendom permanently within the Holy Roman Empire. The Peace established the principle Cuius regio, eius religio, which allowed Holy Roman Empire's states' princes to select either Lutheranism or Catholicism within the domains they controlled, ultimately reaffirming the independence they had over their states. Subjects, citizens, or residents who did not wish to conform to the prince's choice were given a period in which they were free to emigrate to different regions in which their desired religion had been accepted.
Charles V had made a provisional ruling on the religious question, the Augsburg Interim of 1548; this offered a temporary ruling on the legitimacy of two religious creeds in the empire, and codified by law in 30 June 1548 upon the insistence of Charles V, who wanted to work out religious differences under the auspices of a general council of the Catholic Church. The Interim reflected largely Catholic principles of religious behavior in its 26 articles, but it did allow for marriage of the clergy, and the giving of both bread and wine to the laity. This led to resistance by the Protestant territories, who proclaimed their own Interim at Leipzig the following year.
The Interim was overthrown in 1552 by the revolt of the Protestant elector Maurice of Saxony and his allies. In the negotiations at Passau in the summer of 1552, even the Catholic princes had called for a lasting peace, fearing the religious controversy would never be settled. The emperor, however, was unwilling to recognize the religious division in Western Christendom as permanent. This document was foreshadowed by the Peace of Passau, which in 1552 gave Lutherans religious freedom after a victory by Protestant armies. Under the Passau document, Charles granted a peace only until the next imperial Diet. The meeting was called in early 1555.
The treaty, negotiated on Charles' behalf by his brother Ferdinand, effectively gave Lutheranism official status within the domains of the Holy Roman Empire. According to the policy of cuius regio, eius religio ("who rules, his religion", or "in the Prince's land, the Prince's religion"), the religion (Roman Catholic or Lutheran) of a region's ruler determined the religion of its people. During a grace period, families could choose to move to a region where their faith was practiced. (Article 24: "In case our subjects, whether belonging to the old religion or the Augsburg Confession, should intend leaving their homes with their wives and children in order to settle in another, they shall be hindered neither in the sale of their estates after due payment of the local taxes nor injured in their honour.") Knights and towns who had practiced Lutheranism for some time were exempted under the Declaratio Ferdinandei, but the Ecclesiastical reservation supposedly prevented the principle of cuius regio, eius religio from being applied if an ecclesiastical ruler converted to Lutheranism.
The Eiskanal is an artificial canal feature in the city of Augsburg, Germany that was constructed as the canoe slalom venue for the 1972 Summer Olympics that were hosted in Munich.
The first artificial whitewater course of its kind, it has served as a prototype for numerous artificial courses since constructed, such as the Parc Olímpic del Segre course in La Seu d'Urgell, Spain, built for the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona; the Dickerson Whitewater Course, a U.S. training facility for the 1992 Olympic Games; the Penrith Whitewater Stadium in Sydney, Australia, built for the 2000 Olympic Games; in Prague, The Czech Republic; in Bratislava, Slovakia; in Athens, Greece, built for the 2004 Olympic Games; and most recently in Charlotte, North Carolina. It hosted the ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships in 1985 and 2003.
The Eiskanal is still considered a world-class venue, and hosts many World Cup and other international races.
Augsburg Railway Park
The Augsburg Railway Park (Bahnpark Augsburg) is a railway museum in Augsburg on part of the former Augsburg locomotive shed owned by the Deutsche Bahn. At present the Railway Park is still under construction and is therefore only open to visitors for certain exhibitions. It will be officially reopened on 13 April 2009. In the future, 29 historic locomotives from the EU member countries and also Switzerland will be exhibited in the roundhouse and on the turntable, the so-called Europa Roundhouse (Rundhaus Europa), which are protected historical buildings. In addition to the roundhouse there are also three historical steam locomotive halls with a workshop atmosphere and a historical smithy.
German Ice Hockey Hall of Fame
The German Ice Hockey Hall of Fame, was founded in 1988 and is located in Augsburg, Germany. The Hall serves to honor those individuals who have contributed to the sport of hockey in the Germany and has displays and memorabilia depicting the significant contributions of players, coaches, referees and other important figures in the sport.
Botanischer Garten Augsburg
The Botanischer Garten Augsburg (10 hectares) is a municipal botanical garden located at Dr.-Ziegenspeck-Weg 10, Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany. It is open daily; an admission fee is charged.
Today the garden contains a large Japanese garden, a medicinal plant garden, rose garden, and a crop garden. All told, it includes over 3100 species and varieties of perennials, wild herbs, grasses, and ferns, with 280 species and varieties of roses, about 1200 species and varieties of plants under glass, and more than one million onion plants. Other points of interest include cacti, euphorbia, and succulents, as well as a sage garden and climbing plants.
The Town Hall of Augsburg (Augsburger Rathaus)
The Town Hall of Augsburg (German: Augsburger Rathaus) is the one of the most significant secular buildings of the Renaissance style north of the Alps. It was designed and built by Elias Holl, Stadtbaumesiter (Master Builder of the town), in 1615-1624. Due to its historic and cultural importance, it is protected by the Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict.
Inside the Rathaus, Holl built three overlaying halls: on the ground floor, behind the main entrance, is the Lower Fletz, and on the floor above, the Upper Fletz; by far the most impressive room in the building, however, is the double-height Goldener Saal, or Golden Hall, with its magnificent doorways, murals and coffered ceiling. Adjacent to the Goldener Saal is the Prince's Room, designed as a retreat for important guests.
The Perlach Tower (Perlachturm)
Along with the Town Hall, the Perlach Tower is the most recognizable symbol of Augsburg. The tower rises over the 1182-built collegiate church of St. Peter on Perlach. In the course of building the neighboring Town Hall, architect Elias Holl had it erected in 1614. The tower stands 70 m (230 ft) high and is equipped with a carillon and onion dome.
Every year on September 29th (the Feast of St. Michael and all Angels) the children of Augsburg delight in the Turamichelefest. Every hour on the hour, a small door in the tower opens and two mechanical figures come out. As the bell strikes, the figure of St. Michael defeats the dragon with a thrust of his spear.
For a commanding view of the surrounding countryside, one can climb the 261 steps to the top of the tower. The particularly sporty participate each year in the “Perlachturm Run”, a challenge to see who is the quickest to the top.
Marionette Theater (Augsburger Puppenkiste)
In 1943, Walter Oehmichen, his wife Rose and their daughters Hannelore and Ulla built their own marionette theater, the
Puppenschrein(puppet shrine). Although destroyed by bombs in WWII, Oehmichen was not to be discouraged and in 1948 opened a marionette theater in the former Holy Ghost Nursing Home. The
Augsburger Puppenkisteopened with the fairytale
Puss in Boots. TV broadcasts in the 60’s and 70’s made the Puppenkiste and its characters like Urmel, Jim Knopf and the cat Mikesch famous throughout Germany. Today, the two grandsons of the founder, Klaus and Jürgen Marschall, manage the Puppenkiste and continue to carve their own figures and write their own scripts. Adjacent to the theater is a marionette museum (open Tuesday - Sunday 10am - 7pm) where one can get an up-close view of many of the popular figures.
The Eiskanal Olympic Kayak Course
The Eiskanal is an artificial canal feature that was constructed as the whitewater canoeing and whitewater kayaking venue for the 1972 Summer Olympics that were hosted in Munich, Germany. The first artificial whitewater course of its kind, it has served as a prototype for numerous artificial courses since constructed. The Eiskanal is still considered a world-class venue, and hosts many World Cup and other international races.
St. Ulrich's and St. Afra's Abbey
The Basilica of St. Ulrich and Afra is one of the last major late-gothic church buildings in Schwabia. The typical onion-domed tower became an archetype for baroque churches in Bavaria. The Basilica’s richly decorated Renaissance- and Baroque-styled interior blends harmonically into the gothic structure.
Since the 8th century, this has been a site for sacred structures hosting pilgrimages honoring St. Afra (d. 304). In 973, Augsburg’s Bishop Ulrich was entombed near Afra; since 1012, Augsburg’s Benedictine Cloister of St. Ulrich and Afra have looked after these sacred sites.
Construction on the Benedictine monastery’s brick abbey church began in 1474 and was finished in 1500 by Burkhard Engelberg, who also built the Ulm Cathedral tower. In 1500, Emperor Maximilian I laid the cornerstone for the foundation of the choir. Due to the religious conflicts in the 16th century, the choir was not completed until 1603/04. After the 30-year War, when the church properties were divided, the twin churches were separated and one became Catholic, the other Lutheran.
In 1643, the first Mozart ancestor, David Mozart, became a citizen of Augsburg, where he had already bought the house in the Frauentorstrasse where in 1731, Leopold Mozart was born. Wolfgang visited
my papa’s home townfive times and repeatedly gave concerts here. He maintained a heartfelt relationship with his Augsburg cousin Anna Thekla Mozart (Bäsle). Thus, Augsburg considers itself, after Salzburg and Vienna, the third most important city in Mozart’s life—the only German
Mozart City. It is with this in mind that Augsburg hosts a yearly Mozart Festival.
In 1937, a memorial room was opened in the Mozart House, and then in 1939 the Hasen Brewery donated the house to the city of Augsburg. After numerous enlargements and renovations over the last decades, today the Mozart House is a modern memorial to the Mozart family and a venue for lectures and concerts.
Hours: Tuesday - Sunday: 10am - 5pm.
Admission: 3 € Adults, 2 € Concessions, Children under 10 years free.
Augsburg-Western Woods Nature Park
The Augsburg-Western Woods Nature Park (German: Naturpark Augsburg-Westliche Wälder) is one of the two nature parks in Bavarian Swabia. The 1988 founded park has a size of 1,175 km2 (454 sq mi). The nature park is bordered by the rivers Danube, Wertach, Schmutter, Flossach and Mindel. The biggest part of it is located in Augsburg (district) and extends to the edge of the districts Unterallgäu, Günzburg (district) and Dillingen (district).
The gentle, hilly landscape is divided by the streams Schmutter, Neufnach and Zusam into gently undulating plateaus and flat interfluves. It is part of the tertiary hills between the Danube and the Bavarian Alpine Foreland. Nearly half (43%) of the region are forested and the proportion of grassland are high, too. The northern part around Welden is named Holzwinkel, the middle part around Dinkelscherben, Reischenau and the south part (south of the line Thannhausen-Ziemetshausen-Fischach-Gessertshausen-Stadtbergen) are the Stauden.
What is your insider travel tip for Augsburg?
Travel Insider Tips for Augsburg
Augsburg is an independent city in the south-west of Bavaria. The College town is home of the Regierungsbezirk and Bezirk adminstrative regions and the Landkreis Augsburg. In 1906 Augsburg became a Großstadt (city), and is currently the third largest city in Bavaria with more than 264,000 citizens. Only Munich (Munich vacation rentals | Munich travel guide) and Nuremberg (Nuremberg vacation rentals | Nuremberg travel guide) are larger.
Augsburg is the only German city with its own legal holiday, the Peace of Augsburg, celebrated on August 8 of every year. This gives Augsburg more legal holidays than any other region or city in Germany.
The name of the city dates from the Roman settlement Augusta Vindelicorum. The city was founded by the Roman emperor Augustus 15 BC as a castra. Therefore the "Fuggerstadt" (Augsburg became the base for the Fugger banking empire, who donated the Fuggerei part of the city devoted to housing for needy citizens in 1516; it remains in use today) is the second oldest city in Germany after Trier (Trier vacation rentals | Trier travel guide).
Things to See:
- The Town Hall, built in 1620 in Renaissance style
- Perlachturm, a bell tower built in 1182
- Fuggerei (see above)
- Bishop's Residence, built about 1750 in order to replace the older bishop palace; today the administrative seat of Swabia
- Cathedral, founded in the 9th century
- Augsburger Puppenkiste, a very famous marionette theater
- Eiskanal, the world's first artificial whitewater course (venue for the whitewater events of the 1972 Munich (Munich vacation rentals | Munich travel guide) Olympics).
- Dorint Hotel Tower
- Der Goldene Saal
- St. Ulrich and St. Afraone church is Roman Catholic, the other Lutheran, the duality a result of the Peace of Augsburg concluded in 1555 between Catholics and Protestants
- Mozarthaus Augsburg (The composer's father, Leopold Mozart was born there and Mozart visited on several occasions)
- Childhood home of Bertolt Brecht
[ source: Wikipedia ]
Additional Augsburg Resources:
Augsburg is just about the half-way stop along the historic travel route, the Romantic Road into the Bavarian Alps. It makes a good point for people to stop and catch their breath along the way before heading into the Bavarian hill country and the mountains beyond - find out more about Augsburg and the Romantic Road.
More about the History of Augsburg
The city was founded in 15 BC by Drusus and Tiberius as Augusta Vindelicorum, under the orders of their stepfather emperor Augustus. This garrison camp soon became capital of the Roman province of Raetia.
In 1806, when the Holy Roman Empire was dissolved, Augsburg lost its independence to become part of the Kingdom of Bavaria. In 1817 Augsburg became an administrative capital of the Oberdonaukreis, then administrative capital in 1837 for the district Swabia and Neuburg. During the end of the eighteenth-century, Augsburg's textile industry again rose to prominence followed by the attached machine manufacturing industry.
Augsburg is an independent city in southwestern Bavaria. The college town is home of the Regierungsbezirk and Bezirk adminstrative regions and the Landkreis Augsburg. Augsburg is currently the third largest city in Bavaria with more than 264,000 citizens. Only Munich and Nuremberg are larger. The name of the city dates from the Roman settlement Augusta Vindelicorum. The city was founded by the Roman emperor Augustus 15 BC as a castra, making Augsburg the second oldest city in Germany after Trier.
Where to stay in Augsburg?
Check out our selection of hand-selected and quality Augsburg vacation rentals and holiday apartments.