Have a question about Fürth? Ask a local resident for special Fürth insider tips ...
In case you have a specific question for Fürth or would like a Fürth insider tip from one of our local property owners and Fürth experts. Simply add your question and enter your email address. You will typically receive responses from us soon, in many cases within less than 24 hours! Please note: We do not share your email address with with anyone. Responses will solely be sent from us.
Popular Points of Interest in and near Fürth
The Trolli Arena is a football stadium in the district of Ronhof in Fürth, Bavaria, and the home ground of Fußball-Bundesliga team SpVgg Greuther Fürth.
The stadium was originally opened on 11 September 1910 under the name Sportplatz am Ronhofer Weg gegenüber dem Zentral-Friedhof (English: Sports ground on Ronhof Lane opposite the central cemetery) and today holds a capacity crowd of 15,000. Following Fürth's promotion to the Fußball-Bundesliga, it was announced that 3,000 seats would be added to the south tribune to increase the capacity to approximately 18,500.
What is your insider travel tip for Fürth?
Travel Insider Tips for Fürth
The city of Fürth is located in northern Bavaria, Germany in the administrative region (Regierungsbezirk) of Middle Franconia. It is now contiguous with the larger city of Nuremberg (Nuremberg vacation rentals | Nuremberg travel guide), the centres of the two cities being only 7 km apart.
Fürth, Nuremberg and Erlangen (Erlangen vacation rentals | Erlangen travel guide), together with some smaller towns, form the "Middle Franconian Conurbation", which is one of 23 "major centres" in Bavaria and one of the 11 German metropolitan regions.
Fürth celebrated its thousandth anniversary in 2007, its first mention being on 1 November 1007.
The historic centre of the town is to the east and south of the rivers Rednitz and Pegnitz, which join to form the Regnitz to the northwest of the Old Town. To the west of the town, on the far side of the Main-Danube Canal, is the Fürth municipal forest (Fürther Stadtwald). To the east of Fürth, at roughly the same latitude, lies Nuremberg, and to the north is the fertile market-gardening area known as the Knoblauchsland (garlic country), some of which is within the borders of the urban district of Fürth. To the south of the town is an area consisting of wide roads, the canal, and meadows.
Fürth - Culture and Sights
The municipal theater (Stadttheater Fürth) was built by the Viennese theatre architects Fellner & Helmer in the Italian Renaissance and Baroque styles. It is very similar to the municipal theater of the Ukrainian town of Chernivtsi, which was designed by the same architects.
Another playhouse, the Comödie Fürth, is now housed in the Jugendstil building known as the Berolzheimerianum. Regular appearances are made by the Franconian cult comedians Volker Heißmann and Martin Rassau, better known by their alter egos Waltraud and Mariechen. The playhouse hosts other appearances by German stars of comedy theater.
Pubs, restaurants, shopping etc.
Fürth's main district for eating out and drinking is around the Gustavstraße, which is in the Old Town, near the Rathaus. There are many small pubs, cafés and cocktail bars, as well as restaurants serving Franconian cuisine.
Shopping facilities in Fürth include the City Center mall as well as many retail shops and an open market.
Fürth survived the Second World War with less damage than most German cities, and many historic buildings remain. Fürth has a very high density of historic buildings and monuments per head of population (17 per 1000 inhabitants).
The city center is typified by the streets with intact architecture from the 19th and early 20th centuries. In the old town, around the Church of St. Michael, there are ensembles of buildings from the 17th and 18th centuries. Of particular note is the Hornschuch Promenade with Gründerzeit and Jugendstil apartment houses. The Südstadt, the southern part of the town, also has many historic buildings, but these tend to be former workers' tenements, so the house fronts are less grand.
The Rathaus, built in the Italian style by Friedrich Bürklein between 1840 and 1850, is modelled on the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence.
- The Jewish Museum in Franconia' (Königstraße 89), which also has a branch in Schnaittach, was opened in 1999. The main part of the house goes back to the 17th century; Jewish families lived here until the late 19th century. The stucco ceilings, a historic Sukkah and a Mikvah in the basement have remained intact. The museum is also meant to be a meeting place, and has a bookshop and a cafeteria.
- Fürth Radio museum (Kurgartenstraße 37)
- Stadtmuseum (Municipal/Town Museum), now at Schloss in Burgfarrnbach, but soon to move to the old Leopold-Ullstein schoolhouse
- The kunst galerie fürth (Königsplatz 1), which was opened at the end of 2002, is a place for modern art, with varying exhibitions.
- The Jakob-Henle-Haus houses a collection of dialysis technology.
The Protestant Church of St. Michael is the oldest building in Fürth. Its beginnings go back to around 1100, the 45-metre (150 ft) tower was added around 1400 at the beginning of the Late Gothic period, and most of the building work was carried out in the 15th century. The interior of the church is mainly Neo-Gothic in character, with most of the Late Gothic ornaments having been replaced in the 19th century. The only remaining late Gothic ornament is the tabernacle on the North wall; it is 6.8 metres (22 ft 4 in) high and was probably created around 1500-1510 by artists near to Adam Kraft. It is the church's most valuable work of art.
The Catholic Church of Our Lady (1824-1828) is a Classical building, as is the Protestant "Church of the Resurrection" (1825/26), originally belonging to the cemetery and therefore aligned in a north-south direction. In the Südstadt area are the Neo-Gothic Church of St. Paul and the Neo-Baroque Church of St. Henry and Kunigunde. Other churches include the Catholic Church of Christ the King (Christkönig), which was built in the 1970s.
The renovated Liershof was built in 1621 as a two-story stone-block building with high house ends and a two-story timber-framed spire.
The Lochnersche Gartenhaus (Theaterstraße 33) was built about 1700; the polygonal staircase tower was probably added about 1750.
Fürth Rathaus (Town Hall), with its 55 m high tower in the Italian style, was built in 1840-50 by Georg Friedrich Christian Bürklein with the help of Eduard Bürklein, both students of Friedrich von Gärtner. The tower is modelled on the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence and is now the main landmark of Fürth. The Rathaus was built after Fürth was granted the right to self-administration.
The station building of the historic main rail station was designed by Eduard Rüber and built in 1863/1864.
The former abattoir, now a "cultural" centre is to be found below the Stadthalle near the River Rednitz.
On the Schwabacher Straße is a brewery with buildings from the beginning of the 20th century.
The Gauklerbrunnen, (2004), created by Harro Frey at the Grüner Markt is the most recent fountain in Fürth; it comprises 3 independent groups of figures, two of which are connected by water elements.
[ source: Wikipedia ]
More about the History of Fürth
The first mention of the settlement of Fürth, which had probably already existed for some time, was in a document dated 1 November 1007, in which the Emperor Heinrich II donated his property in Fürth to the newly created Bishopric of Bamberg. The name "Fürth" derives from the German word for "ford", as the first settlements originated around a ford. In the following years, Fürth was granted market privileges, but these were later lost to the neighbouring Nuremberg, under Heinrich III. From 1062 onward, Fürth was again permitted to have a market, but by that time Nuremberg was already the more important town.
In the following centuries, the town was under varying authority, involving the Bishopric of Bamberg, the Principality of Ansbach and the City of Nuremberg. For a long time, the character of the settlement remained largely agricultural, and in 1600 the population was probably still only between 1000 and 2000. In the Thirty Years War, Fürth was almost completely destroyed by fire. In 1835, the first German railway was opened between Nuremberg and Fürth.
The city of Fürth is located in northern Bavaria, Germany in the administrative region (Regierungsbezirk) of Middle Franconia. It is now contiguous with the larger city of Nuremberg, the centers of the two cities being only 7 km apart.
Where to stay in Fürth?
Check out our selection of hand-selected and quality Fürth vacation rentals and holiday apartments.