Have a question about Hildesheim? Ask a local resident for special Hildesheim insider tips ...
In case you have a specific question for Hildesheim or would like a Hildesheim insider tip from one of our local property owners and Hildesheim experts. Simply add your question and enter your email address. You will typically receive responses from us soon, in many cases within less than 24 hours! Please note: We do not share your email address with with anyone. Responses will solely be sent from us.
Previously asked Hildesheim questions and answers:
Here is a list of Hildesheim questions that were already answered by our local residents and property owners. Please browse through them. In case you still have a question that is not answered here please use the form above.
- Cultural & History
- Don't do this
- Evening - Going out
- Getting Around
- Local Events
- Local Food Specialties
- Local Travel Tips
- Points of Interest
- Sports & Leisure
Where can one get a great breakfast in the morning?
Are there any cultural highlights, museums?
Ideas for 2-3 activities and daytrips?
Good restaurants for dinner?
Typical tourist activities or places that one should NOT do, as they are not worthwhile doing.
Things can do to make it a fun and memorable evening?
How to get around and find best means of local transportation?
Where to find good quality groceries?
Are there any special local events?
Are there any local food specialties one should try out?
What makes this destination special? Why should one spend some time here during vacation?
Is there a good local deli or restaurant with lunch menu?
Are there any points of interest or local attractions?"I am interested in prince Eric of hildes heim ,I understand he owned a castle near the town and would be interested in seeing it.can anyone help?" (posted 10/18/2015)
What are good places to go for shopping?
Any sporting activites and recommendations to stay active?
Questions around the weather, different seasons, ...
Popular Points of Interest in and near Hildesheim
St. Mary's Cathedral, Hildesheim
St. Mary's Cathedral (German: Dom St. Maria) is a medieval Catholic cathedral in Hildesheim, Germany, that has been on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list since 1985.
The cathedral church was built between 1010 and 1020 in Romanesque style. It follows a symmetrical plan with two apses, that is characteristic of Ottonian Romanesque architecture in Old Saxony. After renovations and extensions in the 11th, 12th and 14th centuries, the cathedral was completely destroyed during an air raid on 22 March 1945, and rebuilt from 1950 to 1960.
St. Michael's Church, Hildesheim
The Church of St. Michael (German: Michaeliskirche) is an early-Romanesque church in Hildesheim, Germany. It has been on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list since 1985.
St. Michael's Church is one of the most important churches in Ottonic (Early-Romanesque) style. It is a double-choir basilica with two transepts and a square tower at each crossing. The west choir is emphasized by an ambulatory and a crypt. The ground plan of the building follows a geometrical conception, in which the square of the transept crossing in the ground plan constitutes the key measuring unit for the entire church. The square units are defined by the "double" alteration of columns and piers. There are 2 entrances on the each apse, and 4 entrances on the north and south side of the church.
Beside the choir and the cloister, the painted wooden ceiling (around 1230) is most famous of the Church's interior. It shows the genealogical tree of Jesus Christ. Bishop Bernward wanted to construct the pillars of the nave in the Niedersächsischer Stützenwechsel style, which means square pillars alternating with round ones. Above them, the wall closes with the clerestory, whose round arch windows attract the light from outside. Furthermore, light shines through the Gothic windows of the lower aisles beyond the arcade. Their ceilings are stone vaults.
Roman Catholic Diocese of Hildesheim
The Diocese of Hildesheim (Latin:Dioecesis Hildesiensis) is a diocese or ecclesiastical territory of the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church in Germany. Founded in 815 as a missionary diocese by King Louis the Pious, his son Louis the German appointed the famous former archbishop of Rheims, Ebbo, as bishop. Between 1235 and 1802, the bishop of Hildesheim was also Prince of the Holy Roman Empire. His territory was the Bishopric of Hildesheim.
The Diocese of Hildesheim continues to exist; today, it covers those parts of the State of Lower Saxony that are east of the River Weser, northern neighbourhoods in Bremen, and the city of Bremerhaven. The current bishop is Norbert Trelle who was appointed in 2006. The diocese is a suffragan to the Archdiocese of Hamburg since 1994. Originally Hildesheim was suffragan to Mainz until 1805. Then it was an exempt diocese until 1930, before it was part of the Middle German Ecclesiastical Province with Paderborn Archdiocese as metropolitan between 1930 and 1994.
Hospital of the Five Wounds, Hildesheim
The Hospital of the Five Wounds is a half-timbered house in the city of Hildesheim in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is in the southern part of the old city center, opposite St. Godehard's Church and behind St. Nicolai's Chapel.
The Hospital of the Five Wounds is one of the largest half-timbered houses in Hildesheim. The address is Godehardsplatz 9-11 which is a large place in front of the romanesque St. Godehard's Church, but actually it is in a small and rather steep side lane. The building has four floors and a half-hip roof.
Magdalenengarten is a baroque park in Hildesheim in Lower Saxony, Germany.
Location and size
Magdalenengarten is in the western part of the historic city center of Hildesheim. On the west side a well-preserved part of the medieval moat and rampart can be seen. On the east side the garden joins the Michaelisplatz and St. Michael's Church, one of the most famous sights of Hildesheim which is a World Cultural Heritage. The garden covers an area of about six acres.
Marienrode Priory is a Benedictine nunnery in Marienrode, a district of Hildesheim in Germany.
An Augustinian monastery was founded here in 1125 by the Bishop of Hildesheim, Berthold I von Alvensleben, in a place then known as Baccenrode. It lasted until 1259. The site was re-settled later, at first by Augustinians and afterwards as a Cistercian monastery. The Cistercians gave the community its current name of Marienrode which has officially been used since 1439. The foundation stone of the present church was laid in 1412. The church was built in gothic style with three naves and completed in 1462. The Baroque ridge turret was added in the 18th century. In the church, there are two noteworthy baroque altars dating from 1750 approximately and a gothic sandstone sculpture of Saint Mary which was made in 1460. The organ dates from the middle of the 18th century. Most of the present buildings of the monastery consisting of sandstone were built in the 18th century. In the inner court there is a noteworthy pigeon tower. After the secularization of 1806, the monastery was used as a farm until 1987.
A small chapel of the priory, Saint Cosmas and Damian, which was built in 1792 was converted into a small Protestant church in 1830. It is not only used by the Protestants living in Marienrode, but also by those from Neuhof and Hildesheimer Wald, two districts of Hildesheim which do not have churches. The altar dates from 1835 and the organ from the end of the 18th century. According to Cistercian tradition, the chapel has a ridge turret instead of a tower.
From 1983, the new Bishop of Hildesheim, Josef Homeyer, was active in the re-establishment of monastic houses. As a result, Marienrode Priory was re-settled by ten Benedictine nuns from Eibingen Abbey on 5 May 1988. Since 1998, Marienrode has been an independent priory within the Beuronese Congregation.
Around the priory, a small village (Marienrode) developed which was incorporated into Hildesheim in 1974. The former village school which was operated by the priory was built in 1716. The windmill of Marienrode was built in 1839 and used as such until 1939. From the village it can be reached through a tree-lined avenue consisting of 200-years-old lindens, with a historic pavement. The large fishpond in the South of the village was laid out by the Cistercians in the Middle Ages.
St Mary's Cathedral (Dom St. Maria) UNESCO World Heritage Site
St. Mary's Cathedral (Dom St. Maria) is an important medieval Catholic cathedral, that has been on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list since 1985. The cathedral church was built between 1010 and 1020 in Romanesque style. The Cathedral is famous for its many priceless artworks, including The bronze doors, commissioned by Bishop Bernward (1015), with reliefs from the history of Adam and of Jesus Christ, and a bronze column 15 ft. high (dating from 1020), adorned with reliefs from the life of Christ. The Cathedral museum owns one of the most extensive collections of medieval treasures in Europe.
Hours: March 16 - October 31: Monday - Saturday 9:30am to 5pm. Sunday 12pm - 5pm. November 1 - March 15: Monday - Friday 10am - 4pm., Sunday Sunday 12pm - 5pm.
St. Andrew's Church, Hildesheim
The St Andreas Church is the principal Lutheran church of Hildesheim, Germany, not to be confounded with the Catholic Hildesheim Cathedral. Its tower is 114.5 metres (376 ft) tall, making it the tallest church tower in Lower Saxony; it is accessible (364 steps) and offers a panoramic view of both the city and surrounding countryside.
The basilica houses what is thought to be the largest organ in Northern Germany, created by the Beckerath Company. It has 63 registers and 4734 pipes, which fill the church with an unusually loud volume of sound. Additionally, it is regarded as one of the most beautiful organs in the region. Organ and choir concerts are regularly held at the church.
St. Bernward's Church, Hildesheim
St. Bernward's Church is a catholic church in the city of Hildesheim in Lower Saxony, Germany. The name refers to the bishop Bernward of Hildesheim (960-1022) who was canonized by Pope Celestine III.
The church was built by the architect Richard Herzig from Hanover in 1905–1907, in a neoromanesque style. From 1895–1913, Herzig built 43 churches of this style in the diocese of Hildesheim. When St. Bernward's Church was built, the romanesque westwork of St. Andrew's Church, Hildesheim and the Cathedral of Hildesheim served as examples. The church was consecrated by bishop Adolf Bertram on 3 November 1907.
During World War II, St. Bernward's Church was heavily damaged by bombs on 22 February 1945 The windows were destroyed, the vault and the roof collapsed. The building could no longer be used for services. Then on 22 March 1945 the church was completely destroyed by incendiary bombs. Only a part of the tower and some walls remained standing.
The reconstruction was started as early as November 1948. When it was completed, St. Bernward's Church, the first destroyed church of Hildesheim to be rebuilt, was consecrated by bishop Joseph Godehard Machens in 1949.
St. Nicolai's Chapel, Hildesheim
St. Nicolai's Chapel is a former Catholic parish church in the city of Hildesheim in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is in the southern part of the old city center, opposite St. Godehard's Church.
Saint Nicolai's Chapel, though today a residential building, is still recognizable as a former church which facaded to the west. It was a comparatively small church consisting of one nave with a vault. The apse with its tented roof is in the east of the building. A part of the nave is preserved as well. The year 1714, which possibly refers to a renovation, is carved into the sandstone of the southern wall.
The building is on the corner of Hinterer Brühl and Godehardsplatz, two of the most sightworthy streets of Hildesheim, and it is surrounded by half-timbered houses which were built in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. The large half-timbered house behind is a former hospital, Hospital zu den Fünf Wunden (Hospital of the Five Wounds), dating from 1770.
Steuerwald Castle, Hildesheim
Steuerwald Castle (Burg Steuerwald) is a Romanesque castle in Hildesheim, a city in Lower Saxony, Germany.
The castle is currently used by a private riding club and is not open to the public. There are plans to convert the castle into a cultural centre and to use it for exhibitions and concerts afterwards. The roofs of the Romanesque palace and of several other buildings were renovated in 2010.
The Upended Sugarloaf (in German: Der Umgestülpte Zuckerhut) is a half-timbered house in the city of Hildesheim in the federal state of Lower Saxony in Germany.
History and architecture
The Upended Sugarloaf is a historic building in Saint Andrew's Place (Andreasplatz) in the center of Hildesheim, opposite Saint Andrew's Church. Originally, it was built in the Middle Ages between 1500 and 1510, but the exact year and the architect's name remain unknown. The shape of the building is very unusual, looking similar to an upended sugarloaf. The ground floor is 17 m² in space, the first floor is larger and the second floor covers 29 m².
Roemer- und Pelizaeus-Museum Hildesheim
The Roemer- und Pelizaeus-Museum Hildesheim is a museum in Hildesheim, Germany. Mostly dedicated to Ancient Egyptian and Ancient Peruvian art, the museum also includes the second largest collection of Chinese porcelain in Europe. Furthermore, the museum owns collections of natural history, ethnology, applied arts, drawings and prints, local history and arts, as well as archeology. Apart from the permanent exhibitions, the museum hosts temporary exhibitions of other archaeological and contemporary topics.
In 2000, the old building, originally built in the 1950s, was replaced by a new building, significantly increasing the space available for exhibitions.
The current museum is the result of the union of the Roemer Museum, founded in 1844 (and named after one of the founders, Herrmann Roemer), and the Pelizaeus Museum, established in 1911, that had housed the private collection of Egyptian antiques of Wilhelm Pelizaeus.
Marienburg Castle (Hildesheim)
Marienburg Castle (Burg Marienburg) is a well-preserved Romanesque castle in Hildesheim, a city in Lower Saxony, Germany.
Hildesheim was founded as the seat of the Bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement around the cathedral of Hildesheim was ruled by the clergy for four centuries and it quickly developed into a town which was awarded market rights by King Otto III in 983. The town grew further and obtained city rights in 1249, developing into a very wealthy merchant city. At the end of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants and was one of the biggest and richest cities in the North of Germany. The citizens gained more and more self-confidence and did not want to be governed by the bishop any longer. As the bishop did not want to reside in the rebellious and dangerous city any longer, he ordered Steuerwald Castle in the North of the city to be built as a new residence. When the castle was completed in 1313, he left Hildesheim. But just one castle proved insufficient to intimidate and to control the citizens. Bishop Henry III, his successor (1331–1363) who also resided in Steuerwald Castle, ordered another castle to be built in the South of Hildesheim, hoping to increase his power by controlling the city from two directions.
According to the orders given by Henry III, Marienburg Castle was built in 1346–1349 on the river Innerste in the South of Hildesheim, about 6 kilometres from the city The castle was built with three aisles, a high castle keep and very thick walls (2 metres) in a strategically advantageous location on the trade route linking Hildesheim to Goslar, another important merchant city. Marienburg Castle was surrounded by two moats. In addition, a part of the castle was protected by the river. In the Thirty Years' War, Marienburg Castle was conquered in 1623, but only the upper floors of the Southern and Eastern aisles suffered some damage. They were rebuilt in half-timbered style in 1663. After the Thirty Years' War, Marienburg Castle was only used for residential purposes and lost its strategic importance. The castle was remodelled several times. During the secularization, the Catholic Church lost the castle which was transformed into a government-owned domain.
What is your insider travel tip for Hildesheim?
Travel Insider Tips for Hildesheim
Hildesheim is a city in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is located in the district of Hildesheim, about 30 km southeast of Hannover (Hannover vacation rentals | Hannover travel guide) on the banks of the Innerste river, which is a small tributary of the Leine river.
Hildesheim is home to notable multinational corporations – besides many strong medium-sized companies – in Hildesheim are Blaupunkt, Bosch, Krupp, Thyssen, Fairchild and Coca-Cola.
Things to See in Hildesheim
The historic market place (Markt) was once considered one of the most beautiful market places in the world. It was reconstructed in 1984-1990 in its former splendour, after its destruction in the 1945 air raid.
The Knochenhauer-Amtshaus ("Butchers' Guild Hall"), known as a beautiful and fine specimen of half-timbered building. Originally built in 1529 and destroyed in 1945, it was reconstructed from 1987 to 1989 according to original plans. The façade is sumptuously decorated with colorful paintings and German proverbs. Today the building houses a restaurant and the City Museum.
The Town Hall, erected in the 13th century in Gothic style. Partly destroyed in 1945, it was rebuilt between 1954 and 1989.
The Tempelhaus, a late-Gothic 15th century patrician house, which today houses the tourist information office. It suffered some damage during the Second World War but was restored in 1952.
The Wedekindhaus, a 16th century patrician house, is characterized by its high, ornately carved storeys including their ledges with depictions of allegorical figures.
The Romanesque St. Mary's catholic cathedral, with its ancient bronze doors (Bernward's door) (c. 1015). The church was built in the 9th century, but almost completely destroyed in 1945; it was reconstructed soon after the war. It is listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1985. The Thousand-Year-Old Rosebush is a reputedly 1,000 years old dog rose bush, allegedly the world's oldest living rose. It continues to flourish on the wall of the Cathedral apse.
The Andreaskirche (St. Andrew's evangelical church), a 12th century church with the highest church steeple (120 m) in Lower Saxony. From the top you get an interesting view of Hildesheim and its surroundings.
Mauritiuskirche (St. Maurice's Church), a romanic church (11th century) on a hill in the west of the city in the district of Moritzberg with a beautiful cloister. The interior of the church is baroque and the tower was added in 1765. From the forest behind the church you get a beautiful view of Hildesheim with many different churches.
Steuerwald Castle (Burg Steuerwald) in the north of the city, about 3 km from the Market Place, was built 1310-1313. Its tower (25 m) was added in 1325. The chapel, dedicated to St Magdalena, was originally built in 1310 in the romanic style and transformed into a gothic chapel in 1507. Today it is used for weddings and concerts.
Marienburg Castle, 'Burg Marienburg' is in the southeast of Hildesheim, about 6 km from the Market Place. It was built 1146-1349.
Marienrode Monastery (Kloster Marienrode) is in the southwest of Hildesheim, about 6 km from the Market Place. It was founded in 1125. The gothic church was consecrated in 1462. The monastery was dissolved in 1806, but returned to the Catholic Church in 1986. Since 1988, it has again been operated by nuns. Near the monastery there is a beautiful lake and a tall windmill. The area is specially beautiful at cherry blossom time.
[ source: wikipedia ]
More about the History of Hildesheim
The town became the seat of the Bishopric of Hildesheim in 815 and may have been founded when the bishop moved from Elze to the Innerste ford, where it was an important market on the Hellweg trade route. For four centuries the clergy ruled Hildesheim, before a town hall was built and the citizens gained some influence. In 1367 Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. A war between the citizens and their bishop cost dearly in 1519-1523 when they engaged in a feud. Soon the town became protestant, and only the cathedral and a few other buildings remained in imperial (catholic) hands. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866 as a province.
In 1978, the University of Hildesheim was founded. In the 1980s a reconstruction of the historic centre began. Some of the unattractive concrete buildings around the marketplace were torn down and replaced by replicas of the original buildings. In the fall of 2007, a decision was made to reconstruct the Umgestülpter Zuckerhut ("Upended Sugarloaf"), an iconic half-timbered house famous for its unusual shape. It is scheduled to be completed in 2009.
[ source: wikipedia ]
Hildesheim is a city in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is located in the district of Hildesheim, about 30 km southeast of Hannover on the banks of the Innerste river, which is a small tributary of the Leine river.
Where to stay in Hildesheim?
Check out our selection of hand-selected and quality Hildesheim vacation rentals and holiday apartments.