Have a question about Koblenz? Ask a local resident for special Koblenz insider tips ...
In case you have a specific question for Koblenz or would like a Koblenz insider tip from one of our local property owners and Koblenz experts. Simply add your question and enter your email address. You will typically receive responses from us soon, in many cases within less than 24 hours! Please note: We do not share your email address with with anyone. Responses will solely be sent from us.
Previously asked Koblenz questions and answers:
Here is a list of Koblenz questions that were already answered by our local residents and property owners. Please browse through them. In case you still have a question that is not answered here please use the form above.
- Cultural & History
- Don't do this
- Evening - Going out
- Getting Around
- Local Events
- Local Food Specialties
- Local Travel Tips
- Points of Interest
- Sports & Leisure
Where can one get a great breakfast in the morning?
Are there any cultural highlights, museums?"On the way to the Ludwig Museum there is an old stone wall with a cross pattern in the stones. To the left are big black blocks with names or engravings on the blocks. What are those? I have photos and don't know how to explain. " (posted 09/30/2016)
Ideas for 2-3 activities and daytrips?
Good restaurants for dinner?
Typical tourist activities or places that one should NOT do, as they are not worthwhile doing.
Things can do to make it a fun and memorable evening?
How to get around and find best means of local transportation?"We're staying in Ehrenbreitstein in December and want to know the best way to get to the center of Koblenz and old town. " (posted 04/27/2014)
Where to find good quality groceries?
Are there any special local events?"Me and my wife will be in Koblenz at the beginning of November, and would like to know if there will be any vine yards/wineries open in the area that we could visit. We will have access to a car." (posted 10/14/2014)
Are there any local food specialties one should try out?
What makes this destination special? Why should one spend some time here during vacation?"Why should someone do a vacation in Koblenz? Can you possibly tell me 2-3 popular travel tips for Koblenz, which everyone visiting Koblenz should see? Also let me know 2-3 special insider travel tips for Koblenz that a typical tourist may not know about, but that you can highly recommend. Thanks!" (posted 07/02/2014)
Is there a good local deli or restaurant with lunch menu?
Are there any points of interest or local attractions?
What are good places to go for shopping?
Any sporting activites and recommendations to stay active?"Is there a maze near Koblenz where we can go with kids? Maybe split up in teams and find our way out in a certain time span. And what other fun activities are there to do with kids between the ages of 12-17?" (posted 04/10/2015)
Questions around the weather, different seasons, ...
Popular Points of Interest in and near Koblenz
Ehrenbreitstein Fortress (Festung Ehrenbreitstein)
Ehrenbreitstein Fortress (Festung Ehrenbreitstein) is a fortress on the mountain of the same name on the east bank of the Rhine opposite Koblenz. It was built as the backbone of the regional fortification system, Festung Koblenz, by Prussia between 1817 and 1832 and guarded the middle Rhine region, an area that had been invaded by French troops repeatedly before. The fortress was never attacked. Early fortifications at the site can be dated back to about 1000 BC.
Hours: 10am - 5pm year-round.
Admission: Adults: 1.10 €, Children (6 - 14 years old): 0,60 €
Stolzenfels Castle (Schloss Stolzenfels)
On the outskirts of Koblenz, the neo-Gothic towers of Schloss Stolzenfels come into view. The castle's origins date from the mid-13th century, when the archbishop of Trier sought to counter the influence (and toll rights) of the archbishop of Mainz, who had just built Burg Lahneck, a castle at the confluence of the Lahn and Rhine rivers. Its superbly furnished period rooms and beautiful gardens are well worth a visit. From B-9 (curbside parking) it's about a 15-minute walk to the castle entrance.
Hours: Apr.- Sept., Tues.- Sun. 10am - 7pm; Oct., Nov., and Jan.- Mar., Tues.- Sun. 10am -5pm
Admission: 2.60 €
Eltz Castle (Burg Eltz)
Burg Eltz is a medieval castle nestled in the hills above the Moselle River between Koblenz and Trier, Germany. It is still owned by a branch of the same family that lived there in the 12th century, 33 generations ago. The Rübenach and Rodendorf families' homes in the castle are open to the public, while the Kempenich branch of the family uses the other third of the castle.
The Treasure Vault in the cellar of the Rübenach house contains an exceptional collection of art works of over five hundred items stretching from the 12th to the 19th century. In addition to the remarkable gold and silver items, such as the drinking vessels depicting the goddess Diana, knights on horseback and the statue of St. John Nepomuk, there are also curiosities such as the
Gluttony conveyed by Drunkennessand the
Monster. The collection also contains interesting examples of porcelain from Vienna and Hoechst from the 18th century.
After extensive restoration work to Eltz castle from 1975 to 1981, the collection was opened to the public. It is of great interest to art experts of international reputation. Up to now, it has been enjoyed by more than one million visitors.
Hours: 9:30am - 5:30pm April 1 - November 1.
Admission: 8 € Adults, 5.50 € Concessions, 24 € Family Card.
Koblenz Fortress was part of a Prussian fortress system near the city of Koblenz in Germany which consisted of the city fortifications of Koblenz and Ehrenbreitstein and exterior supporting constructions such as entrenchments and forts. Koblenz fortress was built in three stages: 1815-1830, 1859-1868 and 1871-1886. The designers were: Ernst von Aster and Gustav von Rauch. Individual parts of the fortication have been preserved, other parts were demolished over the course of time. For example, in 1890 part of the fortress was declassified, the gates were demolished between 1896-1899 and further structures were demolished in the years 1920-1927.
The Goloring is an ancient earthworks monument located near Koblenz, Germany. It was created in the Bronze Age era, which dates back to the Urnfield culture (1200–800 BCE.). During this time a widespread solar cult is believed to have existed in Central Europe.
The Goloring consists of a circular ditch of 175 metres in diameter with an outside embankment extending to 190 metres. Technically this makes the structure a henge monument, although the use of the term henge outside of Britain is sometimes disputed. The outside embankment is approx. 7 metres wide and 80 cm high. The ditch has an upper width of 5–6 metres and is approx. 80 cm deep. In the interior one can find a roughly circular leveled platform, which is about elevated by about 1 metre. The platform has been created based on piled gravelled rock and has a diameter of 95 metres. Remnants of a 50 cm thick wooden post with an estimated height of 8–12 metres were excavated in the middle of this platform.
The design of the ditch is unique in Germany, and makes the earthworks similar to many British monuments of the same era. It is often compared to Stonehenge in England, which has similar diametric proportions.
Basilica of St. Castor
The Basilica of St. Castor (German: Basilika St. Kastor or Kastorkirche) is the oldest church in Koblenz in the German state of Rhineland Palatinate. It is located near Deutsches Eck at the confluence of the Rhine and the Moselle. A fountain called Kastorbrunnen ("Castor well") was built in front of the basilica during Napoleon’s invasion of Russia in 1812. Pope John Paul II raised St. Castor to a basilica minor on 30 July 1991. This church is worth seeing for the historical events that have occurred in it, its extensive Romanesque construction and its largely traditional furnishings.
Since 2002, the Basilica of St. Castor has been part of the UNESCO World Heritage cultural landscape of the Upper Middle Rhine Valley. In addition, it is a cultural property protected under the Hague Convention.
The Rhine Gorge is a popular name for the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, a 65 km section of the River Rhine between Koblenz and Bingen in Germany. It was added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in June 2002 for a unique combination of geological, historical, cultural and industrial reasons.
The region's rocks were laid down in the Devonian period and are known as Rhenish Facies. This is a fossil-bearing sedimentary rock type consisting mainly of slate. The rocks underwent considerable folding during the Carboniferous period. The gorge was carved out during a much more recent uplift to leave the river contained within steep walls 200 m high, the most famous feature being the Loreley.
The gorge produces its own microclimate and has acted as a corridor for species not otherwise found in the region. Its slopes have long been terraced for agriculture, in particular viticulture which has good conditions on south-facing slopes. Most of the vineyards belong to the wine region Mittelrhein, but the southernmost parts of the Rhine Gorge fall in Rheingau and Nahe.
The river has been an important trade route into central Europe since prehistoric times and a string of small settlements has grown up along the banks. Constrained in size, many of these old towns retain a historic feel today. With increasing wealth, many castles appeared and the valley became a core region of the Holy Roman Empire. It was at the centre of the Thirty Years' War, which left many of the castles in ruins, a particular attraction for today's cruise ships which follow the river. At one time forming a border of France, in the 19th Century the valley became part of Prussia and its landscape became the quintessential image of Germany.
This part of the Rhine features strongly in folklore, such as a legendary castle on the Rhine being the setting for the opera Götterdämmerung. The annual Rhine in Flames festivals include spectacular firework displays at Sankt Goar in September and Koblenz in August, the best view being from one of a convoy of boats.
What is your insider travel tip for Koblenz?
Travel Insider Tips for Koblenz
The history and sites of Koblenz, located where the Moselle flows into the Rhine, stretch back to Roman times. No visitor to Koblenz should skip a tour of the Saalburg—the most fully-reconstructed Roman fortress in Germany.
As Koblenz (Latin (ad) Confluentes,
(at the) merging (rivers), Covelenz, Cobelenz; local dialect
Kowwelenz) was one of the military posts established by Drusus about 8 BC, the town celebrated its 2000th anniversary in 1992.
After Mainz and Ludwigshafen am Rhein, it is the third largest city in Rhineland-Palatinate, with a population of c. 106,000 (2006). Koblenz lies in the Rhineland, 92 kilometers (57 miles) southeast of Cologne by rail.
Koblenz is situated in the beautiful landscape between the Rhine and Moselle rivers and surrounded by 4 mountain ranges. The town is 2000 years old and has a lot to offer for anyone who is interested in culture and history (and buildings). Its charming alleys and squares with their historic monuments and buildings as well as promenades along the rivers make it a friendly and welcoming town for many visitors yearly from around the world.
There are many restaurants and wine tasting rooms located in these areas where you can wine and dine in or outdoors, weather permitting. Many local wines can be tasted from the steep vineyards along the Moselle and Rhine rivers. Often home made food is offered along with the wines.
Afterwards the many promenades invited to watch the boats and other activities on both rivers.
Its defensive works are extensive, and consist of strong forts crowning the hills encircling the town on the west, and of the citadel of Ehrenbreitstein on the opposite bank of the Rhine. The old city was triangular in shape, two sides being bounded by the Rhine and Mosel and the third by a line of fortifications. The last were razed in 1890, and the town was permitted to expand in this direction. Immediately outside the former walls lies the new central railway station, in which is effected a junction of the Cologne-Mainz railway with the strategic line Metz-Berlin. The Rhine is crossed by a road bridge and, a mile above the town, by a beautiful bridge of two wide and lofty spans carrying the Berlin (Berlin vacation rentals | Berlin travel guide) railway referred to above. The Moselle is spanned by a Gothic freestone bridge of 14 arches, erected in 1344, and also by a railway bridge.
The city, down to 1890, consisted of the Altstadt (old city) and the Neustadt (new city) or Klemenstadt. Of these, the Altstadt is closely built and has only a few fine streets and squares, while the Neustadt possesses numerous broad streets and a handsome frontage to the Rhine.
In the more ancient part of Koblenz stand several buildings which have an historical interest. Prominent among these, near the point of confluence of the rivers, is the church of Saint Castor (Kastorkirche), with four towers. The church was originally founded in 836 by Louis the Pious, but the present Romanesque building was completed in 1208, the Gothic vaulted roof dating from 1498. In front of the church of Saint Castor stands a fountain, erected by the French in 1812, with an inscription to commemorate Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Not long after, Russian troops occupied Koblenz; and St. Priest, their commander, added in irony these words: "Vu et approuvé par nous, Commandant russe de la Ville de Coblence: Janvier 1er, 1814."
In this quarter of the town, too, is the Liebfrauenkirche, a fine church (nave 1250, choir 1404-1431) with lofty late Romanesque towers; the castle of the electors of Trier, erected in 1280, which now contains the municipal picture gallery; and the family house of the Metternichs, where Prince Metternich, the Austrian statesman, was born in 1773. Also notable is the church of St. Florian, with a two towers façade from c. 1110.
In the modern part of the town lies the palace (Residenzschloss), with one front looking towards the Rhine, the other into the Neustadt. It was built in 1778-1786 by Clement Wenceslaus, the last elector of Trier (Trier vacation rentals | Trier travel guide), under design by the French architect P.M. d'Ixnard; among other curiosities, it contains some fine Gobelin tapestries. From it some pretty gardens and promenades (Kaiserin Augusta Anlagen) stretch along the bank of the Rhine, and in them is a memorial to the poet Max von Schenkendorf. A fine statue to the empress Augusta, whose favourite residence was Coblenz, stands in the Luisenplatz. But of all public memorials the most striking is the colossal equestrian statue of the emperor William I of Germany, erected by the Rhine provinces in 1897, standing on a lofty and massive pedestal, at the point where the Rhine and Mosel meet.
The former Jesuit College is a Baroque edifice by J.C. Sebastiani (1694-1698) serves as the current Town Hall.
Near Koblenz is the Lahneck Castle near Lahnstein, open to visitors from April 1 to October 31.
The city is close to the Bronze Age earthworks at Goloring, a possible Urnfield calendar constructed some 3000 years ago.
[ source: Wikipedia ]
More about the History of Koblenz
Around 1000 BC, early fortifications were erected on the Festung Ehrenbreitstein hill on the opposite side of the Moselle. In 55 BC Roman troops commanded by Julius Caesar reached the Rhine and built a bridge between Koblenz and Andernach. About 9 BC, the "Castellum apud Confluentes", was one of the military posts established by Drusus.
Remains of a large bridge built in 49 AD by the Romans are still visible. The Romans built two castles as protection of the bridge, one in 9 AD and another in the 2nd century, the latter being destroyed by the Franks in 259. North to Koblenz was a temple of Mercury and Rosmerta (a Gallo-Roman deity), which remained in use up to the 5th century.
With the fall of the Western Roman Empire, the city was conquered by the Franks and became a royal seat. After the division of Charlemagne's empire, it was included in the lands of his son Louis the Pious (814). In 837 it was assigned to Charles the Bald, and a few years later here Carolingian heirs discussed what was to become the Treaty of Verdun (843), by which the city became part of Lotharingia under Lothair I. In 860 and 922 Koblenz was the scene of ecclesiastical synods. At the former of these, held in the Liebfrauenkirche, took place the reconciliation of Louis the German with his half-brother Charles the Bald. The town was sacked and destroyed by the Normans in 882. Starting from 925, it became part of the eastern German Kingdom, later the Holy Roman Empire.
In 1018 the city, after receiving a charter, was given by the emperor Henry II to the archbishop and prince elector of Trier. It remained in the possession of his successors till the close of the 18th century and was their main residence since the 17th century. Emperor Conrad II was elected here in 1138. In 1198 in the nearby took place the battle between Philip of Swabia and Otto IV. In 1216 prince-bishop Theoderich von Wied donated to the Teutonic Knights part of the lands of the basilica and the hospital, which later became the Deutsches Eck.
In 1249-1254 Koblenz was surrounded with new walls by Archbishop Arnold II of Isenburg; and it was partly to overawe the turbulent townsmen that successive archbishops built and strengthened the fortress of Ehrenbreitstein that dominates the city.
As a member of the league of the Rhenish cities which took its rise in the 13th century. The Teutonic Knights founded the Bailiwick of Koblenz in or around 1231. Koblenz attained to great prosperity; and it continued to advance till the disasters of the Thirty Years' War occasioned a rapid decline. After Philip Christopher, elector of Trier, had surrendered Ehrenbreitstein to the French the town received an imperial garrison (1632), which was soon, however, expelled by the Swedes. They in their turn handed the city over to the French, but the imperial forces succeeded in retaking it by storm (1636).
In 1688 Koblenz was besieged by the French under Marshal de Boufflers, but they only succeeded in bombing the Old City (Altstadt) into ruins, destroying among other buildings the Old Merchants' Hall (Kaufhaus), which was restored in its present form in 1725. The city was the residence of the archbishop-electors of Trier from 1690 to 1801.
In 1786 the last archbishop-elector of Trier, Clemens Wenceslaus of Saxony, gave great assistance to the extension and improvement of the city, turning the Ehrenbreitstein into a magnificent baroque palace. After the fall of the Bastille in 1789, the city became, through the invitation of the archbishop-elector's chief minister, Ferdinand Freiherr von Duminique, one of the principal rendezvous points for French émigrés. The archbishop-elector approved of this because he was the uncle of the persecuted king of France, Louis XVI. Among the many royalist French refugees who flooded into the city were Louis XVI's two younger brothers, the Comte de Provence and the Comte d'Artois. In addition, Louis XVI's cousin, the Prince de Condé, arrived and formed an army of young aristocrats willing to fight the French Revolution and restore the Ancien Régime. The Army of Condé joined with an allied army of Prussian and Austrian soldiers led by Duke of Brunswick in an unsuccessful invasion of France in 1792. This drew down upon the archbishop-elector the wrath of the First French Republic; in 1794 Coblenz was taken by the French Revolutionary army under Marceau (who fell during the siege), and, after the signing of the Treaty of Lunéville (1801) it was made the capital of the new French départment of Rhin-et-Moselle. In 1814 it was occupied by the Russians. The Congress of Vienna assigned the city to Prussia, and in 1822 it was made the seat of government for the Prussian Rhine Province.
After World War I, France occupied the area once again. In retaliation against the French, the German populace of the city has insisted on using the more German spelling of Koblenz since 1926. Like many other German cities, it was badly mauled in World War II, and rebuilt afterwards. Between 1947 and 1950, it served as the capital of Rhineland-Palatinate.
The Rhine Gorge was declared a World Heritage Site in 2002, with Koblenz marking the northern end.
[ source: Wikipedia ]
The history and sites of Koblenz, located where the Moselle flows into the Rhine, stretch back to Roman times. No visitor to Koblenz should skip a tour of the Saalburg—the most fully-reconstructed Roman fortress in Germany. Koblenz (Latin (ad) Confluentes, confluence or (at the) merging (rivers), Covelenz, Cobelenz; local dialect Kowwelenz) was one of the military posts established by Drusus about 8 BC, and the town celebrated its 2000th anniversary in 1992. Koblenz is situated in the beautiful landscape between the Rhine and Moselle rivers and is surrounded by 4 mountain ranges. The town has much to offer anyone who is interested in culture and history (and buildings). Its charming alleys and squares with their historic monuments and buildings as well as promenades along the rivers make it a friendly and welcoming town for many visitors yearly from around the world. There are many restaurants and wine tasting rooms located in these areas where you can wine and dine in or outdoors, weather permitting. Many local wines can be tasted from the steep vineyards along the Moselle and Rhine rivers.
Featured vacation rentals in Koblenz:
Vacation Apartment Koblenz
nice, clean, spacious ( #261)
In addition, check out our selection of hand-selected and quality Koblenz vacation rentals and holiday apartments.