Have a question about Regensburg? Ask a local resident for special Regensburg insider tips ...
In case you have a specific question for Regensburg or would like a Regensburg insider tip from one of our local property owners and Regensburg experts. Simply add your question and enter your email address. You will typically receive responses from us soon, in many cases within less than 24 hours! Please note: We do not share your email address with with anyone. Responses will solely be sent from us.
Previously asked Regensburg questions and answers:
Here is a list of Regensburg questions that were already answered by our local residents and property owners. Please browse through them. In case you still have a question that is not answered here please use the form above.
- Cultural & History
- Don't do this
- Evening - Going out
- Getting Around
- Local Events
- Local Food Specialties
- Local Travel Tips
- Points of Interest
- Sports & Leisure
Where can one get a great breakfast in the morning?
Are there any cultural highlights, museums?
Ideas for 2-3 activities and daytrips?
Good restaurants for dinner?"What restaurants are closed for the month of July " (posted 07/10/2015)
Typical tourist activities or places that one should NOT do, as they are not worthwhile doing.
Things can do to make it a fun and memorable evening?
How to get around and find best means of local transportation?
Where to find good quality groceries?
Are there any special local events?
Are there any local food specialties one should try out?
What makes this destination special? Why should one spend some time here during vacation?"Could you please tell me the top 5 things/places to see or do in Regensburg that I should not miss. What are 1 or 2 of the best restaurants in Regensburg? Thank you, Larry Hansen" (posted 12/15/2015)
Is there a good local deli or restaurant with lunch menu?
Are there any points of interest or local attractions?"I was one of many young boys staying at a Schloss on a hill overlooking the city. We witnessed Regensburg carpet bombed in the early 1940's. What is the name of the Schloss and I would like to see some pictures of it. I am also the grand-son of Zaubermeister Alois Kassner. Thank you for any information. Fred Domin, geb, Manfred Heblich" (posted 03/10/2016)
What are good places to go for shopping?
Any sporting activites and recommendations to stay active?
Questions around the weather, different seasons, ...
Popular Points of Interest in and near Regensburg
Scots Monastery, Regensburg
The Scots Monastery is a Benedictine abbey of St James (Jakobskirche) in Regensburg, Germany. It was founded by Hiberno-Scottish missionaries and for most of its history was in the hands of first Irish, then Scottish monks, whence its name (in German Schottenkirche, Schottenkloster or Schottenstift. In Middle Latin, Scotti meant Gaels from Scotland or Ireland, so that the term Schottenstift already dates from the Irish period.) The full official name of the actual church, the most prominent building within the abbey complex, is Die irische Benediktinerklosterkirche St. Jakob und St. Gertrud (literally: "The Irish Benedictine Abbey Church of St. James and St. Gertrude").
The Obermünster, or Obermünster Abbey, Regensburg, was a collegiate house of canonesses (Frauenstift) in Regensburg, Bavaria, second only to Niedermünster in wealth and power.
The Obermünster ("higher monastery", named in relation to the older Niedermünster, or "lower monastery"), dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, was founded in the early 9th century by the ruling house of the Carolingians as a Benedictine nunnery to complement the adjacent St. Emmeram's Abbey. It passed almost immediately into the possession of the bishops of Regensburg, at that date also abbots of St. Emmeram's, but King Louis the German recovered it by exchanging Mondsee Abbey for it in 833. His widow, Hemma, became abbess of Obermünster, although she was buried in St. Emmeram's. In the early 10th century it was a private monastery of the family of the Dukes of Bavaria. The nunnery and its church were destroyed by fire in 1002, and was rebuilt and revitalised by Emperor Henry II, who is traditionally considered its founder, and who made it an Imperial abbey — judicially independent, but in this case without territorial sovereignty.
In 1219 it was put under Papal protection and in 1315 Emperor Louis the Bavarian elevated the abbesses to the Reichsfürstentum, or Imperial principality, after which they were known as Princess-abbesses ("Fürstäbtissinnen").
Repeated attempts to reform the rule of life and to return the house to its original Benedictine practice failed and in 1484 Obermünster formally became a collegiate house for noblewomen (adlige Frauenstift), which is what it had in any case been in practice for many years.
During the 17th and 18th centuries the buildings and church were refurbished in the Baroque style.
It was dissolved in 1810 during the secularisation of Bavaria. The last canonesses remained there in retirement until 1822, after which it became a seminary. In 1862 the episcopal boys' seminary was also established there. In 1944 bombs destroyed the church and part of the claustral buildings. After the war the central episcopal archive, the library, part of the diocesan museum and other diocesan service functions were accommodated in the buildings that remained.
Botanischer Garten der Universität Regensburg
The Botanischer Garten der Universität Regensburg is a botanical garden maintained by the University of Regensburg on campus at Universitätsstraße 31, Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany. It comprises 4.5 hectares. The garden is open daily except Saturday in the warmer months.
The garden maintains specialist collections of the following genera: Erythronium (18 species), Polygonatum (30), indigenous Rosa (25), indigenous Rubus (70), Sorbus (30), Tricyrtis (14), and Trollius (10). Some collections are open to the public. It also contains four greenhouses (total area 450 m²) with collections of ferns, bromeliads and orchids; carnivorous plants and crops from temperate climates; rainforest plants and tropical crops; cactus and succulents.
The garden is linked with a herbarium established in 1790 by the Regensburg Botanical Society, which has been associated with the university since 1973. As of 2002 the herbarium contained 1,350 fascicles with 122,358 specimens.
The Dom (Cathedral) is a very interesting example of pure German Gothic and counts as the main work of Gothic architecture in Bavaria. It was founded in 1275 and completed in 1634, with the exception of the towers, which were finished in 1869. The interior contains numerous interesting monuments, including one of Peter Vischer's masterpieces. Adjoining the cloisters are two chapels of earlier date than the cathedral itself, one of which, known as the old cathedral, goes back perhaps to the 8th century. The official choir for the liturgical music at St Peter's Cathedral are the famous Regensburger Domspatzen. Tours through the dome of St. Peter, mausoleum, cloister, All Saints Chapel and St. Stephen are regularly offered.
Hours: April 1 - October 31: 6:30am - 6pm. November 1 - March 31: 6:30am - 5pm.
Porta Praetoria Roman Gate
The four walls of the Roman legionary camp each had in the middle of their length an entry gate flanked by two massive towers. The northern gate facing the Danube, called Porta Praetoria, was discovered in 1885 during renovations in the Bischofshof brewery. It was restored in 1887 and is a part of the Bischofshof complex.
The twin arches served as a city gate until the 17th century. The parts that remain are the western arch, a section of the wall connected to the western tower, and the two-story eastern tower. The shaped stones were built in layers without using mortar. The Porta Nigra, Trier's northern city gate, was built at the same time, and the two are the only remaining Roman gates north of the Alps. Regensburg's Porta Praetoria gains significance as the only remaining gate of a Roman military camp in northern Europe.
The Historical Museum resides in the former Minorite monastery and documents the history of Regensburg's art and culture from the Stone Age to the 19th century. The collection focuses on the Regensburg area and eastern Bavaria. The archaeological section with its large collection of finds and realistic models covers the prehistory of the region in the millennia before Christ, the Roman age until around 400 AD and early history up to the 10th century. A wide range of exhibits provides visitors with an insight into life in the town in the Middle Ages. The museum also covers the heyday of late-medieval religious art up to the work of Altdorfers and the
Danube schooland holds a collection of European arts and crafts.
Hours: Open 10am - 4pm; closed on Mondays and Thursdays except public holidays.
Admission: Adults 2.20 € Concessions 1.10 €.
Prince Thurn and Taxis Palace - St. Emmeram Palace
Since 1812, the extensive building complex of the former Abbey of St. Emmeran in Regensburg has served as a magnificent permanent residence for the Princes of Thurn and Taxis, whose history stretches back to the 12th century. A guided tour of the palace museum, which was opened in 1998, takes you on a stroll through beautifully furnished salons, magnificent living quarters and state rooms that reflect the courtly splendour of centuries past. The St. Emmeran section of the museum takes visitors on a journey into the world of the ascetic medieval monks of the western Benedictine order. The neo-Gothic crypt chapel and cloister provide an insight into the burial rites of a European aristocratic family. In the royal stables there is a comprehensive collection of carriages, sedan-chairs and sleighs from the 19th and early 20th century.
Hours: January 1 - March 31 and November 3 - December 31: Monday - Friday 11.am - 5pm, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays 10am - 5pm. April 1 - November 2: Monday - Friday 11am - 5pm, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays 10am - 5pm.
Admission: Palace and cloister of St. Emmeram: Adults 11.50 €, Concessions 9 €. Princely Treasury: Adults 4.50 €, Concessions 3.50 €, family ticket 32 €.
The Walhalla monument is a Hall of Fame and Honor for "laudable and distinguished Germans" located near Regensburg and is one of the major artistic creations of the Bavarian King Ludwig I. Constructed by the well-known architect Leo von Klenze between 1830-1842, the Walhalla is one of the many cultural attractions on the Danube. The temple is built in Doric style, one of the grandest and most beautiful monuments built by the Bavarian King for the Germans. A huge entry gate leads to the interior. The Walhalla memorial commemorates important Germans and figures linked in some way to the history and people of Germany since 1842 in the form of marble busts and memorial plaques. The monument is considered the most important classical building of the 19th century.
Hours: April - September 9am - 5:45pm, October 10 am - 11:45am and pm - 3:45pm, November - March 9am - 4:45pm.
St Ulrich Diocesan Museum
The diocesan museum has been located in the Romanesque-Gothic basilica of St Ulrich since 1986. A remarkable symbiosis of church and museum is achieved in the interior which is decorated with 13th to 16th century frescos. The museum houses art works dating from the 11th to the 20th centuries, including medieval paintings, sculptures and goldsmith's work. Renaissance, baroque, rococo and 19th century art is displayed in the galleries. Ecclesiastical treasure from the former St Emmeran, St. John and Niedermünster abbeys are particularly noteworthy, including the crosiers of the 12th century saints Emmeran and Wolfgang. There is an exhibition of contemporary art in the vestibule.
Hours: April 1 - November 1: Tuesday - Sunday 10am - 5pm. Closed November 2 - March 31.
Admission: Adults 2 €, Concessions 1 €, Family card 4 €.
The museum's centrepiece is the Imperial Hall, a Gothic banqueting hall which, from 1663, was the permanent seat of the imperial diet (assembly) of the Holy Roman Empire. This was Germany's first parliament building and is now a museum and monument. The museum examines the history of the imperial diets and the place where they met, and looks at the town's legal system. Please note entrance is only permitted via a guided tour.
Roman Catholic Diocese of Regensburg
The Diocese of Regensburg (Latin: Dioecesis Ratisbonensis) is a Roman Catholic ecclesiastical territory seated in Regensburg, Germany. Its district covers parts of northeastern Bavaria; it is subordinate to the archbishop of Munich and Freising. The diocese has 1.3 million Catholics, constituting 81% of its population. The Diocese is currently a vacant see (sede vacante); Bishop Gerhard Ludwig Müller was appointed Archbishop ad personam and Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith by Pope Benedict XVI on Monday, July 2, 2012 to succeed American Cardinal William Joseph Levada, who retired for reasons of age. The main diocesan church is Saint Peter in Regensburg.
Herzogspark (1.5 hectares) is a municipal park, with small botanical garden, located on the banks of the Danube at the western edge of the old city, at Hundsumkehr Strasse, Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany.
The park dates to 1293, when a new wall was constructed after enlargement of the city. Its moat now forms part of the landscape. The site became a private garden in 1804, subsequently owned by the Princely House of Thurn and Taxis, and served its Württembergisches Palais served as the residence of Duchess Maria Sophia of Württemberg (née Princess of Thurn and Taxis).
Walhalla Regensburg - A Magnificent Gothic Cathedral in Germany
The Walhalla Regensburg Germany is in Bavaria and houses 130 busts as well as 65 plaques that honor two millennium of German history. Valhalla was the Norse heaven for slain warriors, and Walhalla was refers to that name, but the temple honors scientists, clerics, artists and writers as well as warriors.
The Parthenon above the Danube
Walhalla Regensburg Germany was begun by King Ludwig I, King of Bavaria in 1830 and completed 12 years later. The architect was Leo von Klenze. The king wanted it to be modeled after the Parthenon in Athens, Greece complete with friezes on the northern and southern sides. The northern frieze has scenes from the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD and the southern frieze shows the creation of the German confederation in 1815.
Common Germanic Heritage
King Ludwig I selected the first to be honored in the temple and had busts created. When Walhalla Regensburg was inaugurated on October 18, 1842, 96 statue busts were completed as well as 64 plaques. The king included people who were of the German tongue such as people from Austria, Sweden, Poland, Czech Republic, Belgium, United Kingdom, Russia, Netherlands, Baltic States and Switzerland. The famous Polish astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus was one of the first to be installed.
Anyone can propose a person for entry into the temple, but new entrees must have been dead for at least 20 years. Before 1912, the time was 10 years. Since the Walhalla Regensburg temple opened in 1842, there have been 31 new busts. Of the 191 people commemorated, twelve are women.
Who is in the Temple
There are many ancient kings represented as well as painters such as Jan van Eyck, Hans Holbein, Anthony van Dyck, Albrecht Durer as well as composers such as Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Wagner, Handel and Haydn. There are also great leaders and statesmen such as Alfred the Great, Charlemagne, Clovis I, Catherine II of Russia as well as ground breaking scientist including Justus von Liebig, Johannes Muller, Mendel. Great writers are included such as Erasmus of Rotterdam, Goethe, Heinrich Heine and Edith Stein, a philosopher and saint.
This is just a small example of the eminent people represented in the sanctuary. There have been two recent additions, Sophie Scholl and Widerstand both of whom fought against Nazi Germany. The most ancient person honored in the temple is Arminius, born in 17 BC who was the victor of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD.
How to get there:
Address: Walhalla Strasse 48, Phone +49 (0) 09403 / 961 680 - email: email@example.com
Important information for visitors:
- Closed on August, 1st and July, 28th.
- Opening times and access during construction and renovation work. Ongoing construction and renovation work does not affect access or opening times in any way.
- April - September: 9 am - 5.45 pm
- October: 9 am - 4.45 pm November - March, 10 am - 11.45 am 1 pm - 3.45 pm
- Closed on the following days: 24th, 25th and 31st December Shrove Tuesday
St. Emmeram's Abbey
St. Emmeram's Abbey (Kloster Sankt Emmeram or Reichsabtei Sankt Emmeram), now known as Schloss Thurn und Taxis, Schloss St. Emmeram, and St. Emmeram's Basilica, was a Benedictine monastery founded in about 739 in Regensburg in Bavaria (modern southern Germany) at the grave of the itinerant Frankish bishop Saint Emmeram.
When the monastery was founded in about 739, the bishops of Regensburg were abbots in commendam, a common practice at the time which was not always to the advantage of the abbeys concerned. In 975, Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg, then bishop of Regensburg and abbot of St. Emmeram's, voluntarily gave up the position of abbot and severed the connection, making the abbots of St. Emmeram's independent of the bishopric. He was one of the first German bishops to do this, and his example in this was much copied across Germany in the years following. The first independent abbot was Ramwold (later the Blessed Ramwold). Both he and Saint Wolfgang were advocates of the monastic reforms of Gorze.
Old Town of Regensburg UNESCO World Heritage Site
This medieval town contains many buildings of exceptional quality that testify to its history as a trading center and to its influence on the region from the 9th century. A notable number of historic structures span some two millennia and include ancient Roman, Romanesque and Gothic buildings. Regensburg’s 11th- to 13th-century architecture – including the market, city hall and cathedral – still defines the character of the town marked by tall buildings, dark and narrow lanes, and strong fortifications. The buildings include medieval patrician houses and towers, a large number of churches and monastic ensembles as well as the 12th-century Old Bridge, which dates from. The town is also remarkable for the vestiges testifing to its rich history as one of the centres of the Holy Roman Empire that turned to Protestantism.
The Bavarian Forest (German: About this sound Bayerischer Wald) is a wooded low-mountain region in Bavaria, Germany. It extends along the Czech border and is continued on the Czech side by the Šumava (Bohemian Forest). Geographically the Bavarian Forest and Bohemian Forest are sections of the same mountain range. A part of the Bavarian Forest belongs to the Bavarian Forest National Park (Nationalpark Bayerischer Wald) (240 km²), established in 1970 as the first national park in Germany. Another 3,008 km² belong to the Bavarian Forest Nature Park (Naturpark Bayerischer Wald), established 1967, and 1738 km² to the Eastern Bavarian Forest Nature Park (Naturpark Oberer Bayerischer Wald), established 1965. The Bavarian Forest is a remnant of the Hercynian Forest that stretched across southern Germania in Roman times. It is the largest protected forest area in central Europe.
The highest mountain in the region is the Großer Arber ("Great Arber", 1,456 m). The main river is the Regen, which is formed by the conjunction of White Regen and Black Regen and leaves the mountains towards the city of Regensburg.
What is your insider travel tip for Regensburg?
Travel Insider Tips for Regensburg
Regensburg is a city (population 131,000 in 2007) in Bavaria, Germany, located at the confluence of the Danube and Regen (Regen vacation rentals | Regen travel guide) rivers, at the northernmost bend in the Danube. To the east lies the Bavarian Forest. Regensburg is the capital of the Bavarian administrative region Upper Palatinate. The large medieval center of the city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Regensburg is situated on the northernmost part of the Danube river at the geological crossroads of four distinct landscapes:
- to the north and northeast lies the Bavarian Forest (Bayerischer Wald) with granite and gneiss mountains and wide forests.
- to the east and south-east is the fertile Danube plain (Gäuboden) which are highly cultivated loess plains
- the south is dominated by the tertiary hill country (Tertiär-Hügelland), a continuation of the alpine foothills
- to the West is the Franconian Jura (Fränkische Jura)
Things to See
- The Dom (Cathedral) is a very interesting example of pure German Gothic and counts as the main work of Gothic architecture in Bavaria. It was founded in 1275 and completed in 1634, with the exception of the towers, which were finished in 1869. The interior contains numerous interesting monuments, including one of Peter Vischer's masterpieces. Adjoining the cloisters are two chapels of earlier date than the cathedral itself, one of which, known as the old cathedral, goes back perhaps to the 8th century. The official choir for the liturgical music at St Peter's Cathedral are the famous Regensburger Domspatzen.
- The Stone Bridge, built 1135-1146, is a highlight of medieval bridge building. The knights of the 2nd and 3rd crusade used it to cross the Danube on their way to the Holy Land.
- Remains of the roman fortress' walls including the porta praetoria
- The Church of St. James, also called Schottenkirche, a Romanesque basilica of the 12th century, derives its name from the monastery of Irish Benedictines (Scoti) to which it was attached; the principal doorway is covered with very singular grotesque carvings. It stands next to the Jakobstor, a mediæval city gate named after it.
- The old parish church of St. Ulrich is a good example of the Transition style of the 13th century, and contains a valuable antiquarian collection. It houses the diocesan museum for religious art.
- Examples of the Romanesque basilica style are the church of Obermünster, dating from 1010, and the abbey church of St. Emmeram, built in the 13th century, remarkable as one of the few German churches with a detached bell tower. The beautiful cloisters of the ancient abbey, one of the oldest in Germany, are still in fair preservation. In 1809 the conventual buildings were converted into a palace for the prince of Thurn and Taxis, hereditary postmaster-general of the Holy Roman Empire.
- The Adler-Apotheke, located nearby the Regensburg Cathedral, was founded in 1610 and is one of the oldest Pharmacies in Regensburg. Even today you can take a look at the ancient interior and historical vessels.
- Wealthy patrician families competed against each other to see who would be able to build the highest tower of the city. In 1260, the Goldener Turm (golden tower) was built on Wahlenstraße.
- The Town Hall, dating in part from the 14th century, contains the rooms occupied by the Imperial diet from 1663 to 1806.
- A historical interest is also attached to the Gasthof zum Goldenen Kreuz (Golden Cross Inn), where Charles V made the acquaintance of Barbara Blomberg (Blomberg vacation rentals | Blomberg travel guide), the mother of Don John of Austria (born 1547).
- Perhaps the most pleasant modern building in the city is the Gothic villa of the king of Bavaria on the bank of the Danube.
- Among the public institutions of the city are the public library, picture gallery, botanical garden, and the institute for the making of stained glass. The city's Gymnasien (high schools) include an episcopal clerical seminary, and a school of church music.
- The Botanischer Garten der Universität Regensburg is a modern botanical garden located on the University of Regensburg campus.
- St. Emmeram's Abbey, now known as Schloss Thurn und Taxis, is a huge castle owned by the powerful Thurn and Taxis family.
Near Regensburg there are two very imposing Classical buildings, erected by Ludwig I of Bavaria as national monuments of German patriotism and greatness. The more imposing of the two is the Walhalla, a costly reproduction of the Parthenon, erected as a Teutonic temple of fame on a hill rising from the Danube at Donaustauf (Donaustauf vacation rentals | Donaustauf travel guide), 15 km to the east. The interior, which is as rich as coloured marble, gilding, and sculptures can make it, contains the busts of more than a hundred German worthies. The second of King Ludwig's buildings is the Befreiungshalle at Kelheim (Kelheim vacation rentals | Kelheim travel guide), 30 km above Regensburg, a large circular building which has for its aim the glorification of the heroes of the 1813 War of Liberation.
[ source: wikipedia ]
More about the History of Regensburg
The first settlements in Regensburg date to the Stone Age. The Celtic name Radasbona was the oldest name given to a settlement near the present city. Around AD 90 the Romans built a small "cohort-fort" in what would now be the suburbs.
In 179 the Roman fort Castra Regina ("fortress by the river Regen") was built for Legio III Italica during the reign of Emperor Marcus Aurelius. It was an important camp on the most northern point of the Danube: it corresponds to what is today the core of Regensburg's Altstadt ("Old City") east of the Obere and Untere Bachgasse and West of the Schwanenplatz. It is believed that even in late Roman times it was the seat of a bishop, and St Boniface re-established the Bishopric of Regensburg in 739.
From the early 6th century, Regensburg was the seat of the Agilolfing ruling family, and in 843, Regensburg was the seat of the Eastern Frankish ruler, Louis II the German. From about 530 to the first half of the 13th century, it was the capital of Bavaria. In 11351146 a bridge across the Danube, the Steinerne Brücke, was built. This stone bridge opened major international trade routes between Northern Europe and Venice, and this started Regensburg's golden age as a city of wealthy trading families. Regensburg became the cultural center of southern Germany and was celebrated for its gold work and fabrics.
In 845, fourteen Bohemian princes came to Regensburg to receive baptism there. This was the starting point of Christianization of the Czech people, and the diocese of Regensburg became the mother diocese of Prague. These events had a wide impact on the cultural history of the Czech lands, as consequently they were incorporated in the Roman Catholic and not into the Slavic-Orthodox world. The fact is well remembered, and a memorial plate at St John's Church (the alleged place of the baptism) was unveiled a few years ago, commemorating the incident in the Czech and German languages.
In 1245 Regensburg became a Free Imperial City and was a trade center before the shifting of trade routes in the late Middle Ages. At the end of the 15th century Regensburg became part of the Duchy of Bavaria in 1486, but its independence was restored by the Holy Roman Emperor in 1496.
The city adopted the Protestant Reformation in 1542, and its Town Council remained entirely Lutheran until the incorporation of the city into the Principality of Regensburg under Carl von Dalberg in 1803. A minority of the population stayed Roman Catholic and Roman Catholics were excluded from civil rights ("Bürgerrecht"). The town of Regensburg must not be confused with the Bishopric of Regensburg. Although the Imperial city had adopted the Reformation, the town remained the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop and several abbeys. Three of the latter, St. Emmeram, Niedermünster and Obermünster, were estates of their own within the Holy Roman Empire, meaning that they were granted a seat and a vote at the Imperial diet (Reichstag). So there was the unique situation that the town of Regensburg comprised five independent "states" (in terms of the Holy Roman Empire): the Protestant city itself, the Roman Catholic bishopric and the three monasteries mentioned above.
From 1663 to 1806, the city was the permanent seat of the Reichstag of the Holy Roman Empire. Thus Regensburg was one of the central towns of the Empire, attracting visitors in large numbers. In 1803 the city lost its status as a free city. It was handed over to the Archbishop of Mainz (Mainz vacation rentals | Mainz travel guide) and Archchancellor of the Holy Roman Empire Carl von Dalberg in compensation for Mainz, which had become French under the terms of the Treaty of Lunéville in 1801. The archbishopric of Mainz was formally transferred to Regensburg. Dalberg united the bishopric, the monsteries and the town itself, making up the Principality of Regensburg (Fürstentum Regensburg). Dalberg strictly modernised public life. Most importantly he awarded equal rights to Protestants and Roman Catholics. In 1810 Dalberg ceded Regensburg to the Kingdom of Bavaria, he himself being compensated by the towns of Fulda (Fulda vacation rentals | Fulda travel guide) and Hanau (Hanau vacation rentals | Hanau travel guide) being given to him under the title of "Grand Duke of Frankfurt".
Between April 19 and April 23, 1809, Regensburg was the scene of the Battle of Ratisbon between forces commanded by Baron de Coutaud (the 65th Ligne) and retreating Austrian forces. It was eventually overrun after supplies and ammunition ran out. The city suffered severe damage during the fight with about 150 houses being burnt and others being looted.
World War II
Regensburg was a WWII Area Headquarters of Military District XIII (German: Wehrkreis XIII) commanded by Lieutenant General Bruno Edler von Kiesling auf Kieslingstein. The headquarters was in command of the military forces of Regensburg, Passau (Passau vacation rentals | Passau travel guide), Straubing (Straubing vacation rentals | Straubing travel guide), Weiden in der oberpfalz and Amberg (Amberg vacation rentals | Amberg travel guide). Regensburg also had a Messerschmitt Bf 109 aircraft factory and an oil refinery, and was bombed on August 17, 1943, by the Schweinfurt-Regensburg mission and on February 5, 1945, during the Oil Campaign of World War II. Unlike most other major German cities, Regensburg had little damage from the Strategic bombing during World War II and the nearly intact medieval city center is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The most important cultural loss was the Romanesque church of Obermünster, which was destroyed in a March 1945 air raid and never rebuilt(the belfry survived). Also Regensburg's slow economic recovery after the war ensured that historic buildings were not torn down to be replaced by newer buildings. When the upswing came to Regensburg in the late 1960s, the mindset had turned in favor of preserving the heritage.
[ source: wikipedia ]
Regensburg, Bavaria, is located at the confluence of the Danube and Regen rivers, at the northernmost bend in the Danube. To the east lies the Bavarian Forest. Regensburg is the capital of the Bavarian administrative region Upper Palatinate. The large medieval center of the city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Near Regensburg there are two very imposing Classical buildings, erected by Ludwig I of Bavaria as national monuments of German patriotism and greatness. The more imposing of the two is the Walhalla, a costly reproduction of the Parthenon, erected as a Teutonic temple of fame on a hill rising from the Danube at Donaustauf, 15 km to the east. The interior, which is as rich as coloured marble, gilding, and sculptures can make it, contains the busts of more than a hundred German worthies. The second of King Ludwig's buildings is the Befreiungshalle at Kelheim, 30 km above Regensburg, a large circular building which has for its aim the glorification of the heroes of the 1813 War of Liberation.
Where to stay in Regensburg?
Check out our selection of hand-selected and quality Regensburg vacation rentals and holiday apartments.