Have a question about Stuttgart? Ask a local resident for special Stuttgart insider tips ...
In case you have a specific question for Stuttgart or would like a Stuttgart insider tip from one of our local property owners and Stuttgart experts. Simply add your question and enter your email address. You will typically receive responses from us soon, in many cases within less than 24 hours! Please note: We do not share your email address with with anyone. Responses will solely be sent from us.
Popular Points of Interest in and near Stuttgart
New Palace (Stuttgart)
The New Palace (German: "das Neue Schloss", which may also be translated as New Castle) is a building which stands on the south edge of Schlossplatz, the central square in Stuttgart, Germany. The castle is built in late Baroque style.
From 1746 to 1797 and from 1805 to 1807, it served as a residence of the kings of Württemberg. (At other times, the Ludwigsburg Palace, a few miles to the north was the favoured residence of the royal family). The palace stands adjacent to the Old Castle.
The castle was almost completely destroyed by Allied bombing during the Second World War and was reconstructed between 1958 and 1964. During this time most of the inside of the castle was also restored and the building was used by the Baden-Württemberg State Parliament. Today it is used by the State Ministries of Finance and Education. Public tours of the building are only permitted by special arrangement.
Schlossplatz stands next to two other popular squares in Stuttgart: Karlspatz to the south and Schillerplatz to the south west. The future German President, Richard von Weizsäcker was born in the New Castle on April 15, 1920.
Nippenburg is a ruined castle located in Schwieberdingen, Germany. The oldest records of Nippenburg date to 1160, which makes it one of the oldest castles in the region of Stuttgart. In the seventeenth century the castle was positioned favorably lying on a mountain spur over-half the Glemstals and built in direct proximity to the manor-house lock Nippenburg. In the following centuries the castle was heavily quarried and abandoned. The ruins are with high walls and fortifications as well as a substantial scrub. In the 1980s the building was partially restored to its 1483 condition.
Altes Schloss (Stuttgart)
The Old Castle (German: Altes Schloss) is located in the centre of Stuttgart, the capital of the German State of Baden-Württemberg. It dates back to the 10th century.
The first castle dated back to around 950 when Stuttgart was a settlement for breeding horses. In the 14th century it became the residence of the sovereign Counts of Württemberg. In the 16th century dukes Christopher and Ludwig ordered it to be converted into a Renaissance castle. Moats around the castle were removed in the 18th century.
In 1931, the castle was severely damaged by a fire and before it could be reconstructed it was damaged by bombing in the Second World War. The castle was finally renovated in 1969.
Today the Old Castle is home to the Württemberg State Museum.
King Charles I of Württemberg and his wife Olga are buried beneath the castle church. The inner courtyard houses a monument to Eberhard I. The Old Castle stands adjacent to its replacement, the New Castle, which was built in the late 18th century.
On the Karlsplatz side of the Old Castle is a museum dedicated to the memory of Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg a former resident of Stuttgart who attempted to assassinate Adolf Hitler on 20 July 1944.
The Hegel House (German: Hegelhaus) is a museum in Stuttgart, Germany, located in the house where the philosopher Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel was born.
Born in 1770, Hegel lived in Stuttgart for the first 18 years of his life; he died in Berlin in 1831. The Hegel House is on Eberhardstraße, and dates from the 16th century.
The ground floor contains an exhibition about Stuttgart during Hegel's lifetime. Another exhibition is devoted to Hegel's life story, and includes his famous beret and his Stammbuch (an early form of friendship book). A third room contains a text collage of key quotations from Hegel, and various editions of his works in different languages.
The Kunstmuseum Stuttgart is a contemporary and modern art museum in Stuttgart, Germany, built and opened in 2005.
The Kunstmuseum Stuttgart museum's collection comes from the previous "Galerie der Stadt Stuttgart". The city's collection goes back to a gift from the Marchese Silvio della Valle di Casanova in 1924.
It contains one of the most important collections of the work of Otto Dix and also works from Willi Baumeister, Adolf Hölzel, Dieter Roth, and others.
The Landesmuseum Württemberg (Württemberg State Museum) is the main historical museum of the Württemberg part of the German state of Baden-Württemberg. It emerged from the 16th century “Kunstkammer” (art chamber) of the dukes, later kings, of Württemberg who resided in Stuttgart. As a museum it was founded in 1869 by King William I.
The Linden Museum (German: Linden-Museum Stuttgart. Staatliches Museum für Völkerkunde) is an ethnological museum located in Stuttgart, Germany.
The museum traces its origins to the collection of objects amassed by the Verein für Handelsgeographie (Association for Trade Geography) in the 19th century. The namesake of the museum is Karl Graf von Linden (1838–1910) who, as president of the Stuttgart Verein für Handelsgeographie, took an interest in assembling and organizing the collection, and invited explorers of the caliber of Sven Hedin and Roald Amundsen to Stuttgart.
In 1911, the collection was established as a private museum and its current building was constructed. After suffering extensive damage during World War II, the building was restored in the 1950s and the municipality became its custodian. Since 1973, the museum has been jointly administrated by the city of Stuttgart and the state of Baden-Württemberg.
State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart
The State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart (German: Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde Stuttgart), abbreviated SMNS, is one of the two state of Baden-Württemberg's natural history museums. Together with the State Museum of Natural History Karlsruhe (Staatliches Museum für Naturkunde Karlsruhe) it is one of the most important repositories for state-owned natural history collections.
Exhibitions are shown in two buildings, both situated in the Rosenstein park in Stuttgart: the Löwentor Museum (German: Museum am Löwentor) houses the paleontology and geology exhibitions, while the Museum Rosenstein in Rosenstein Palace focuses on biology and natural history. Every year, the SMNS is visited by about 110,000 people.
The Neue Staatsgalerie in Stuttgart, Germany, was designed by the British firm James Stirling, Michael Wilford and Associates, although largely accredited solely to partner James Stirling. It was constructed in the 1970s and opened to the public in 1984. The building has been claimed as the epitome of Post-modernism.
The new gallery occupies a site next to the old Staatsgalerie. A car park is located below the building. The building incorporates warm, natural elements of travertine and sandstone in classical forms, to contrast with the industrial pieces of green steel framing system and the bright pink and blue steel handrails. The architect intended to unite the monumental with the informal.
The building's most prominent feature is a central open-top rotunda. This outdoor, enclosed space houses the sculpture garden. It is circumvented by a public footpath and ramp that leads pedestrians through the site. This feature allows the public to reach the higher elevation behind the museum from the lower front of the building's main face.
Porsche Museum, Stuttgart
The Porsche Museum is an automotive museum in the Zuffenhausen district of Stuttgart, Germany on the site of carmaker Porsche.
The new Porsche museum stands on a conspicuous junction just outside Porsche Headquarters in Zuffenhausen. The display area covers 5600 square metres featuring around 80 exhibits, many rare cars and a variety of historical models.
The museum was designed by the architects Delugan Meissl. The exhibition spaces were designed by HG Merz who was also involved in the building of the award winning Mercedes-Benz Museum.
Roman Catholic Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart
The Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart (lat: Dioecesis Rottenburgensis-Stutgardiensis) is a diocese of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church in Germany. The diocese is located in the Württemberg part of the German State of Baden-Württemberg.
The Diocese of Rottenburg was established in 1821 through the Papal Bull De salute animarum. With the enthronement of the first bishop, Johann Baptist von Keller, on May 20, 1828, the formation of the diocese was complete. In 1978, the diocese changed its name to the current form of Rottenburg-Stuttgart.
The State Library of Württemberg (German: Württembergische Landesbibliothek or WLB) is a large library in Stuttgart, Germany, which traces its history back to the ducal public library of Württemberg founded in 1765. It holds c. 3.4 million volumes and is thus the fourth-largest library in the state of Baden-Württemberg (after the university libraries of Freiburg, Heidelberg and Tübingen). The WLB owns an important collection of medieval manuscripts as well as one of the largest bible collections in the world.
The WLB is one of two state libraries of Baden-Württemberg, the other being the Badische Landesbibliothek (BLB) at Karlsruhe. One of the library's main purposes is to collect and archive written literature from and about the Regierungsbezirk (state subdivision) Tübingen and Regierungsbezirk Stuttgart, i.e. roughly the former land of Württemberg. The library is entitled to a legal deposit of every work published in Baden-Württemberg (before 1964: in Württemberg).
The WLB has also been part of the Stuttgart University library system since 1967. As an academic library, it is responsible for the humanities sections of the University of Stuttgart as well as for the Stuttgart College of Music and the Stuttgart Academy of Arts.
While the library offers many catalogues online (including a Baden-Württemberg bibliography), it does not yet make its collections available in digitized form at all.
The Stadtbücherei Stuttgart is the public library of the city of Stuttgart.
From 1965 on, the Central Library of Stuttgart has been located in the Wilhelmspalais in Stuttgart. This building was built 1834 - 1840 by Giovanni Salucci. It was the place of residence of King Wilhelm II. In 2011 the Central library moved to the newly built Stadtbibliothek am Mailänder Platz.
The Landesarboretum Baden-Württemberg (16.5 hectares) is a historic arboretum now maintained by the University of Hohenheim. It is located next to the Botanischer Garten der Universität Hohenheim, the university's botanical garden, on Garbenstrasse in the Hohenheim district of Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
The arboretum was begun as a landscape garden in the years 1776-1793 by Karl Eugen, Duke of Württemberg, on a site southwest of Schloss Hohenheim. It contained two major collections - a botanical garden of plants from the Württemberg region, and an arboretum of North American trees (the Exotischer Garten) - which by 1783 contained a total of 120 species. After the Duke's death in 1793, the garden was opened to the public, and during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries was used for cultivation of seedlings for the Duke's gardens, study of exotic trees for local forestry, and student botanical studies.
The garden suffered substantial losses in 1930-31, after which its nursery was demolished and the garden returned to approximately its original state. In 1953 the former Exotischer Garten became the Landesarboretum Baden-Württemberg. Its collections were substantially enhanced beginning in 1996 when an adjacent 7.4 hectares were devoted to a new Hohenheimer Landschaftsgarten (Hohenheimer Landscape Garden), with first trees were planted in 1997 and an additional 200 plants added in 1998. Plantings have continued since.
Today's arboretum comprises two linked sections, the old Exotischer Garten and the newer Hohenheimer Landschaftsgarten. Together they contain about 2450 taxa of deciduous and coniferous woody plants, representing 270 species from over 90 plant families. Particularly noteworthy are historic specimens dating to the arboretum's creation, including tulip trees planted in 1779, oaks (1790), and yellow buckeye (1799).
Old Palace and State History Museum
Together with the neighboring Collegiate Church, the Old Palace (Altes Schloss) is the city's most ancient remaining monument. Parts of the foundation walls date back to the 10th Century, when the palace was constructed as a simple moated fortress in the year 941. More than once over its eventful history it has been rebuilt, besieged and destroyed by war. During the 16th Century, a Renaissance palace grew up out of the former moated fortress. The greater part of the building was reduced to dust and rubble in intensive air raids on Stuttgart in the summer of 1944. The rebuilding of the Old Palace took until 1969.
Since 1948, the Old Palace, itself a symbol of Wüttemberg's state history, has housed the Landesmuseum Württemberg, the outstanding state history museum. The Palace Chapel, which was constructed in the mid 16th Century, is among one of South Germany's oldest Protestant places of worship.
Hours: Tuesday - Sunday 10am - 5pm.
Admission: Adults 4.50 €, Concessions 3 €, children under 14 years free.
The New Palace (Neues Schloss) stands proudly at the heart of the State Capital Stuttgart. This late Baroque building was one of the last big city palaces to be built in Southern Germany, and is reminiscent of the magnificent French palaces of the 17th Century.
It was Duke Karl Eugen who commissioned architects Nikolaus Friedrich Thouret, Leopold Retti and Philippe da la Guepière as well as Reinhard Ferdinand Heinrich Fischer to construct the three-winged palace complex along the lines of the celebrated Palace of Versailles between the years 1746 and 1807. The residence of the Kings of Württemberg was destroyed in World War II and later rebuilt. Today, the New Palace houses the Ministries of Financial Affairs and Education, and is also used by the State Government to receive important visitors and for state occasions ; it is only available to tour by special arrangement. Tel. +49-(0)711-6673-4331 (State Property and Building Surveyor's Office in Stuttgart) or email email@example.com.
[ source: Wikimedia ]
Sepulchral Chapel on Württemberg Mountain
The inscription over the entrance to the vault which houses the double Carrara marble sarcophagus translates as
Love never dies. The tomb is the resting place of Queen Katharina, who died at an early age, and King Wilhelm I who was buried here in 1864. The then Crown Prince Wilhelm and his cousin Katharina Pawlowa, Grand Duchess of Russia, were married in 1816. Katharine died just three years later at the age of 30. Wilhelm had the Sepulchral Chapel built for his adored wife on Württemberg Mountain, which had formerly been the site of the ancestral castle of the Württembergs (11th Century).
Inside the chapel, built in the Classicist style, the wall niches are occupied by colossal statutes of the four Evangelists. Court sculptor Johann Heinrich Dannecker produced these statues with the aid of his pupil Theodor Wagner using Carrara marble. The Sepulchral Chapel was used from 1825 to 1899 for Russian Orthodox worship. Still today, the Russian Orthodox community attends the
Service on Württemberg Mountainhere every Whit Monday. The