Have a question about Weilburg? Ask a local resident for special Weilburg insider tips ...
In case you have a specific question for Weilburg or would like a Weilburg insider tip from one of our local property owners and Weilburg experts. Simply add your question and enter your email address. You will typically receive responses from us soon, in many cases within less than 24 hours! Please note: We do not share your email address with with anyone. Responses will solely be sent from us.
What is your insider travel tip for Weilburg?
Travel Insider Tips for Weilburg
The community lies in the Lahn valley between the Westerwald and the Taunus just upstream from where the Weil empties into the river Lahn and 80 km northeast of Koblenz (Koblenz vacation rentals | Koblenz travel guide). The Old Town, built on and around a rocky hill, is almost encircled by the Lahn. Weilburg borders in the north on the communities of Merenberg (Merenberg vacation rentals | Merenberg travel guide) and Löhnberg (Löhnberg vacation rentals | Löhnberg travel guide) (both in Limburg-Weilburg), in the east on the town of Braunfels (Braunfels vacation rentals | Braunfels travel guide) (Lahn-Dill-Kreis), in the south on the communities of Weilmünster (Weilmünster vacation rentals | Weilmünster travel guide) and Weinbach as well as on the town of Runkel (Runkel vacation rentals | Runkel travel guide), and in the west on the community of Beselich (all in Limburg-Weilburg).
Things to See in Weilburg
The Schloss Weilburg (residential castle) has been a museum since 1935 that can only be visited by guided tour. Housed in the castle’s former chancellery building is Weilburg’s Bergbau- und Stadtmuseum (
Mining and Town Museum), which has at its disposal an exhibit area of 1 200 m². On display are exhibits on Weilburg’s town history and a wide assortment about mining in the town and the neighbouring areas. The museum, which has existed since 1972, making it Hesse’s oldest mining museum, also has installed in the castle hill a 200 m-long mining gallery exhibit in which the original mining machinery may be seen. Since May 2008, one part of the museum has also housed roughly one hundred works of Chinese cut paper artworks. This display of Chinese cut paper outside China is thus far unique in the world. In the outlying centre of Gaudernbach is found the Deutsche Baumaschinen-Modellmuseum (
German Building Machine Model Museum). The museum was founded by the building company Walter Feickert GmbH in 1989. On display here are roughly 1,200 models of building machines and construction sites.
Weilburg was for many years a residence town and governmental seat of the House of Nassau-Weilburg. Even today, the inner town is still characterized by buildings from that time. The most important buuilding is the castle, Schloss Weilburg from the 14th century. It was converted in the 16th and 18th centuries. The Renaissance parts, known as the Kernschloss (main or central castle) is counted among the best preserved Renaissance castles in Hesse. After the Baroque expansion under Johann-Ernst of Nassau-Weilburg, it takes in almost half of the Old Town. Also part of the castle is the Evangelical Schlosskirche (
Castle Church) from the early 18th century.
In the outlying centre of Kubach is found the Kristallhöhle, or Crystal Cave. Great parts of this cleft cave’s walls are set with countless calcite crystals and calc-sinter. The crystals on the walls in this form are said to be unique in Germany. With a length of roughly 200 m, a breadth of up to 23 m and a height of up to 30 m the cave is believed to be Germany’s biggest single natural underground chamber.
[ source: wikipedia ]
More about the History of Weilburg
It is believed that the earliest traces of settlers in the area around Weilburg are witnessed by finds from La Tène times from the Scheuernberger Kopf (mountain) near Kirschhofen.
Weilburg was first mentioned in 906 in a chronicle by Abbot Regino of Prüm (Prüm vacation rentals | Prüm travel guide) as a fortification under the name Wilineburch. Six years later King Conrad I, whose father had been buried in the fortification after having fallen in battle while fighting the Babenbergers near Fritzlar in 906, founded a church and an abbey. In 912, the St. Walpurgis-Chorherrenstift (monastery) was founded. The building, which was built up high, afforded the monastery control over the Lahn as well as the Hohe Straße (
High Road) running from Frankfurt (Frankfurt vacation rentals | Frankfurt travel guide) to Cologne (Cologne vacation rentals | Cologne travel guide) and the Via Publica from Flanders to Bohemia, which ran nearby.
In 918, the Wilineburg (castle) earned a special historic importance when King Conrad I, lying on his deathbed, recommended to his brother Eberhard that he deliver the Imperial insignia to his harshest rival, the Saxon duke Heinrich (Weilburger Testament).
From 993 to 1062, the town was bit by bit donated to the Bishopric of Worms (Worms vacation rentals | Worms travel guide). About 1225, the Bishop of Worms pledged lordship over the town to the House of Nassau (Nassau vacation rentals | Nassau travel guide), which in the end they bought up, granting the place a year later the same town rights held by Frankfurt. Count Johann I of Nassau built his residence here in 1355, renovated the castle and also built town fortifications. In 1359, he had a stone bridge built across the Lahn.
The House of Nassau shaped the town’s history for several centuries. Count Johann Ernst (1664-1719), especially, renovated and beautified his residence town by expanding the high castle, building a park and changing the town’s face. Weilburg thereby became one of the most fully preserved examples of a small German residence town from the time of absolutism. From 1806, the town was the governmental seat of the newly created Duchy of Nassau. Only in 1816 did William, Duke of Nassau move the residence to Biebrich (Biebrich vacation rentals | Biebrich travel guide). In 1866, the Duchy of Nassau was annexed by Prussia.
In the field of building history, Weilburg is known for its loam buildings from the time before 1800. Wilhelm Jacob Wimpf, a
government lawyer, was instrumental in furthering the so-called Pisee style of building in the town and its environs, yielding what is still Germany’s tallest loam building, a six-floor house.
[ source: wikipedia ]
Weilburg is, with just under 14,000 inhabitants, the third biggest town in Limburg-Weilburg district in Hesse, Germany, after Limburg an der Lahn and Bad Camberg.
Where to stay in Weilburg?
Check out our selection of hand-selected and quality Weilburg vacation rentals and holiday apartments.