Have a question about Weilheim an der Teck? Ask a local resident for special Weilheim an der Teck insider tips ...
In case you have a specific question for Weilheim an der Teck or would like a Weilheim an der Teck insider tip from one of our local property owners and Weilheim an der Teck experts. Simply add your question and enter your email address. You will typically receive responses from us soon, in many cases within less than 24 hours! Please note: We do not share your email address with with anyone. Responses will solely be sent from us.
Previously asked Weilheim an der Teck questions and answers:
Here is a list of Weilheim an der Teck questions that were already answered by our local residents and property owners. Please browse through them. In case you still have a question that is not answered here please use the form above.
- Cultural & History
- Don't do this
- Evening - Going out
- Getting Around
- Local Events
- Local Food Specialties
- Local Travel Tips
- Points of Interest
- Sports & Leisure
Where can one get a great breakfast in the morning?
Are there any cultural highlights, museums?
Ideas for 2-3 activities and daytrips?
Good restaurants for dinner?
Typical tourist activities or places that one should NOT do, as they are not worthwhile doing.
Things can do to make it a fun and memorable evening?
How to get around and find best means of local transportation?
Where to find good quality groceries?
Are there any special local events?
Are there any local food specialties one should try out?
What makes this destination special? Why should one spend some time here during vacation?
Is there a good local deli or restaurant with lunch menu?
Are there any points of interest or local attractions?"What can you tell me about St. Peters Church?" (posted 09/07/2014)
What are good places to go for shopping?
Any sporting activites and recommendations to stay active?
Questions around the weather, different seasons, ...
What is your insider travel tip for Weilheim an der Teck?
Travel Insider Tips for Weilheim an der Teck
Weilheim an der Teck Overview
It is situated 7 km southeast of Kirchheim unter Teck (Kirchheim unter Teck vacation rentals | Kirchheim unter Teck travel guide), and 13 km southwest of Göppingen (Göppingen vacation rentals | Göppingen travel guide).
Weilheim is ideally situated for day trips, no matter if towards Ulm, Göppingen, Schwäbisch Hall, Waiblingen, Stuttgart, Reutlingen, Tübingen,…
Further Info about Weilheim an der Teck
Weilheim is located north of the Albtrauf, in the country at the foot of the Swabian Alb, and with 2251 hectare it comprises a rather large area. It lies in the Swabian Jurassic, from the Lias eta to the Weissjura (“White Jurassic”) beta; the city lies in between, mainly on the Braunjura (“Brown Jurassic”). Among its higher elevations is the Limburg (598 m), the “house mountain” of Weilheim, the Egelsberg (428 m), which locals also call “Bürrle” (which means small mountain), both of volcanic origin as is the small Dachsbühl, and the Tuchbleiche (390 m). The Wolfsscherre is an extension of the Alb in the East of the city (with 573 m), and it contains a drinking water reservoir of 4000 cubic meter at an altitude of 480 m. Similarly, the Egenfirst (536 m) extends the Alb in the southeast. The highest point of Weilheim, with 800 m, is the Bosler, at the Erdschliss. The altitude at the town hall is 384 m. Since 1940, here at the Bosler, several airplanes have collided with the abruptly rising mountain.
- Fremdenverkehrsverband (Tourist Information Association) Neckarland Schwaben, Charlottenplatz 17 , 7000 Stuttgart 1
- Schwäbischer Albverein, Hospitalstraße 21 B 7000 Stuttgart 1
Am Stockach 1, 73235 Weilheim unter Teck
Opening Hours: Mo - Sa 08:00 am - 08:00 pm, closed Sundays
Market with bakery and butcher, fresh fruit and vegetables
Suggested Day Trips:
- Bretten – Old town, Melanchthon’s birthplace, with his house at the market
- Eppingen – small town of timber-framed houses on the northern edge of the Heuchelberg
- Sinsheim – Steinsberg castle at the border of the Kraichgau
- Sinsheim – nearby car and technology museum
- Bruchsal – Bruchsal castle with collection of tapestries
- Maulbronn –Maulbronn monastery, fully preserved medieval monastery
Zwischen Stromberg Heuchelberg und Neckar
- Bad Wimpfen – free imperial town, Gothic churches (and considered one of the most beautiful German cities)
- Marbach am Neckar – Schiller’s birthplace, with the house where he was born and national museum
- Stromberg – amusement park – Altweibermühle in Tripsdrill, close by Cleebronn am Stromberg, Tierpark (animal park) - Tripsdrill and
- Wildparadies Stromberg: with native and exotic animals
- Guttenberg – castle with museum and falcon breeding
- Gundelsheim – Horneck castle
- Bad Friedrichshall – show salt mine
- Heilbronn – Gothic Kilian’s church
- Schwaigern- timber-frame small town, Gothic town church
- Weinsberg – medieval castle ruin Weibertreu
- Lauffen- Besigheim- Hessigheim – Bietigheim – beautiful small towns of timber-frame houses in wine-growing area
- Steinheim an der Murr – museum of prehistoric man
Schwäbischer Wald (Swabian Forest)
- The Bottwar valley with the Wunnenstein and Löwenstein mountains is a wine-growing area with castles and quaint villages
- Öhringen – town hall in the former castle, late Gothic church, Weygang Museum
- Waldenburg – castle
- Schwäbisch Hall – Comburg castle, Benedictine monastery Comburg, former imperial town with beautiful old town well-worth a visit
- Ellwangen – Roman-baroque churches
- Welzheim – Roman limes (border wall)
- Lake Ebnisee – beautiful calm lake in the middle of the Welzheim forest
- Markgröningen – Gothic church
- Leonberg – castle, Swabian timber-frames
- Solitude – summer castle of Duke Karl Eugen, panorama terrace
- Waiblingen – medieval cityscape, town fortification
- Weil der Stadt – medieval town, city walls, Kepler house
- Rotwildpark (deer park) – animal enclosure west of Stuttgart, Bärenschlössle castle
- Denkendorf – Roman (architecture style) monastery
- Ludwigsburg – baroque castle, flourishing baroque, fairy-tale garden (Ludwigsburg castle was built under Duke Eberhard Ludwig between 1704 and 1733)
- Stuttgart – TV tower, Mercedes Benz Museum, Porsche Museum, Lindenmuseum – Museum of Anthropology, rack railway ride on the old „Weinsteige“, Wilhelmspalais palace at the Charlottenplatz, castles such as the Altes Schloss with state museum, Rosenstein castle with natural history museum, Hohenheim castle (today university), State Gallery Stuttgart, Museum of Vine-Growing in Uhlbach, Stuttgart Zoo – Wilhelma churches, squares and more
- Bad Cannstatt – Sept, / Okt. Cannstatter Wasen (folk festival)
- Esslingen – quaint medieval town, churches, castle, town fortifications
- Plochingen – Hundertwasser building
More Suggested Day Trips from Weilheim:
Straße der Staufer – The Staufer’s Road
Staufer buildings around Lorch, Göppingen, Schwäbisch Gmünd. The Staufer’s Road touches on many important points of the history of this, one of the most important, families in German history. The three emperor’s mountains – Hohenstaufen, Hohenrechberg, Stuifen – are well-suited for hikes. Climbing Hohenstaufen, with the ruins of the ancestral home of the Staufer, gives a great panoramic view to the Stuifen and the Rechberg mountains.
Lorch monastery is a Romanic monastery that was founded as Staufer mortuary. The monastery church from the 12th century is a basilica consisting of three ships, made in pillared style, shaped in the typical architectural style of the Roman period to resemble ancient Roman king’s halls. Close-by, one can find remains of the Roman border wall, the limes, and a recreated watch tower.
Old city with harmonic building ensemble, churches and museums worth a visit.
Faurndau near Göppingen
City natural history museum, Jewish museum in the Jebenhausen district, Staufer exhibition at Hohenstaufen, remarkable historical buildings and churches, Märklin Erlebniswelt – model train museum, animal park, golf club
Large Roman “castell” (fortress) at the Limes, Limes Museum, “Tiefer Stollen” mine, Fachsenfeld castle, pools/spas, Limes spa, Prehistoric World museum Aalen at the market square
Weilheim and Environs
- Weilheim Teck – Zähringen city with lovingly restored old city center, round path through the old town and mill path to remarkable buildings and places, with St. Peter’s church (a late Gothic hall church) a particular jewel, educational path through nature, extensive hiking and bike paths, Fahrrad Heilenmann offering e-Bikes for rent, nice outdoor pool with old trees,
- Holzmaden – Museum Hauff with world-renowned dinosaur finds in oil shale
- Reußenstein – castle ruins above Neidlingen (a town next to Weilheim)
- Kirchheim Teck – undisturbed old town core, castle with wall and moat, St. Martin’s church and Kornhaus (corn house), bastion in the Northeast of the city’s center and prominent intersection with timber-framed town hall, citizen’s lakes and airport for sailplanes Hahnweide, towards Nürtingen.
- Owen – mortuary of the dukes of Teck, ancestors of the British queen, in St. Mary’s Church, St. Bernard’s Chapel, Geschichtshaus (house of history/story) Owen, castle ruin Teck with pub above Owen
- Beuren – open air museum, panorama spa Beuren, soil teaching path
- Hohenneuffen – ruins above Neuffen
The Filstal valley, from Wiesensteig to Geislingen Steige
- Wiesensteig – old town of historical importance with beautiful timber-frame houses, residence castle of the family of Helfenstein, collegiate church St. Cyrakus, cemetery chapel, Schertel cave (one of the stalactite caves of the Swabian Alb which is worth a visit) 5 km west of Wiesensteig, geology teaching path
- Bad Ditzenbach thermal spa, Hiltenburg castle ruins
- Deggingen – Capuchin monastery Ave Maria, Franciscus path
- Überkingen – thermal spa
- Geislingen – Helfenstein castle ruins, museum of treasure chests in the Alter Bau, Red Cross museum, WMF – Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik (factory tours and factory sales in the fish hall)
From Schönbuch via the Reutlinger Alb into the Danube Valley
- Weitenburg – a castle well worth a visit
- Haigerloch – castle and beautiful view of the city, town church
- Rottenburg – episcopal city with cathedral, pilgrim church
- Tübingen – university town, quaint small alleyways, beautiful timber-frame buildings, town church, castle, Hölderlin tower, boat tours on the traditional “Stocherkahn”
- Bebenhausen – Cistercian monastery, museum, nearby animal enclosure
- Bad Urach – town of timber-framed houses, remarkable market spring, Amandus church, castle, Hohenurach castle ruins, 37 m high waterfall of Urach
- Reutlingen – timber-framed buildings, well-preserved town fortifications, St. Mary’s church
- Hohenzollern castle near Hechingen, a fairy-tale castle with seven towers, visit highly recommended
- Hechingen – at the foot of the Hohenzollern, contains important architectural monuments of the Renaissance
- Neresheim – monastery church by Balthasar Neumann
- Lichtenstein castle above Honau, a charming small castle
- ”Nebelhöhle” (fog cave) near Genkingen – one of the most beautiful and largest caves of the Reutlinger Alb
- ”Bärenhöhle” (bear’s cave) near Erpfingen with entertainment park and children’s playgrounds
- Marbach – famous state stud farm of Württemberg
- Beuron – old monastery at the Danube, baroque monastery church
- Sigmaringen – Hohenzoller castle with castle museum, town hall square, prince’s garden, regional museum Runder Turm (round tower), city parish church St. John, Mattes-Zündapp museum (a must for motorcycle fans)
- Heiligen Kreuztal – Gothic monastery church, extensive monastery grounds
- Blaubeuren – “Blautopf,” famous karst fountains, monastery church
- Ulm – city well-worth a visit, minster of Ulm with the highest church steeple in Germany, bread museum, fisher’s quarter
Things to See in Weilheim an der Teck
Städtlesfest, jedes Jahr am ersten Sonntag im Juli
Dorffest in Hepsisau, jedes Jahr am ersten Sonntag im September
Kirschenblütenfest im April
[ source: wikipedia ]
More about the History of Weilheim an der Teck
Weilheim attained its city status in 1319. At the end of the 19th century, the city underwent major industrialization.
[ source: wikipedia ]
Weilheim an der Teck is a town in the district of Esslingen in Baden-Württemberg in southern Germany.
Featured vacation rental in Weilheim an der Teck:
In addition, check out our selection of hand-selected and quality Weilheim an der Teck vacation rentals and holiday apartments.