Follow the Romantic Road in Germany
Categories: Family and Kids, Sightseeing, Cultural and History
Rothenburg, a popular mediaval town along the Romantic Road
[ source: Flickr]
The Romantic Road (German: Romantische Strasse) is the term for a theme route coined by travel agents in the 1950s to describe the stretch of highway in southern Germany (in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg), between Würzburg (Würzburg vacation rentals | Würzburg travel guide) and Füssen (Füssen vacation rentals | Füssen travel guide). This region of Germany is thought by many international travelers to possess
quintessentially German scenery and culture, specifically in towns and cities such as Nördlingen (Nördlingen vacation rentals | Nördlingen travel guide), Dinkelsbühl (Dinkelsbühl vacation rentals | Dinkelsbühl travel guide) and Rothenburg ob der Tauber (Rothenburg ob der Tauber vacation rentals | Rothenburg ob der Tauber travel guide). The Romantic Road is also known for passing by the famous Neuschwanstein Castle.
Along the Romantic Road in Germany
- Tauberbischofsheim (Tauberbischofsheim vacation rentals | Tauberbischofsheim travel guide)
- Lauda-Königshofen (Lauda-Königshofen vacation rentals | Lauda-Königshofen travel guide)
- Bad Mergentheim (Bad Mergentheim vacation rentals | Bad Mergentheim travel guide)
- Weikersheim (Weikersheim vacation rentals | Weikersheim travel guide)
- Röttingen (Röttingen vacation rentals | Röttingen travel guide)
- Creglingen (Creglingen vacation rentals | Creglingen travel guide)
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Schillingsfürst (Schillingsfürst vacation rentals | Schillingsfürst travel guide)
- Feuchtwangen (Feuchtwangen vacation rentals | Feuchtwangen travel guide)
- Nördlingen (Nördlingen vacation rentals | Nördlingen travel guide)
- Harburg (Harburg vacation rentals | Harburg travel guide)
- Donauwörth (Donauwörth vacation rentals | Donauwörth travel guide)
- Augsburg (Augsburg vacation rentals | Augsburg travel guide)
- [=destination:friedberg-bavaria:Friedberg (Bavaria):]
- Landsberg am Lech (Landsberg am Lech vacation rentals | Landsberg am Lech travel guide)
- Schongau (Schongau vacation rentals | Schongau travel guide)
- Steingaden (Steingaden vacation rentals | Steingaden travel guide) and Wieskirche
- Schwangau (Schwangau vacation rentals | Schwangau travel guide), Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau (Hohenschwangau vacation rentals | Hohenschwangau travel guide)
- Fuessen (Fuessen vacation rentals | Fuessen travel guide)
[ source: Wikipedia ]
Find and book quality Germany Vacation Rentals and Holiday Apartments ...
By State: Aargau, Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Appenzell Innerrhoden, Baden-Wurttemberg, Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Bavaria, Berlin (region), Bern (Canton), Brandenburg, Bremen (region), Burgenland (Austria), Canton of Jura, Canton of Uri, Carinthia (Austria), Fribourg (Canton), Geneva (Canton), Glarus, Graubünden, Hamburg (region), Hesse, Lower Austria, Lower Saxony, Lucerne (Canton), Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Neuchâtel, Nidwalden, North Rhine-Westphalia, Obwalden, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Salzburger Land (Austria), Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Schaffhausen (Canton), Schleswig-Holstein, Schwyz (Canton), Solothurn, St. Gallen (Canton), Styria (Austria), Thurgau, Thuringia, Ticino, Tyrol (Austria), Upper Austria, Valais, Vaud, Vienna (Austria), Voralberg (Austria), Zug (Canton), Zürich (Canton), [ + ] more ...
Location, Map, and Driving Directions
[ view larger map ]
More Germany Travel Related Articles
- Traveling in Brandenburg Germany – A scenic and historic road trip
- Visit the Museum of Local History in Teltow, the Heimatmuseum
- Asparagus - The Queen of German Vegetables
- The most beautiful areas in Hamburg Eppendorf
- The Romantic Road
- Visit the most romantic castle in Heidelberg
- Sylt beaches
- Neuschwanstein in Bavaria
- Wewelsburg Castle
- Speyer Christmas Market
Nearby Destinations Where You Can Find Nice Germany Vacation Rentals
Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Located on the “Romantic Road” in Middle Franconia (Bavaria), Rothenburg is famous for its well-preserved medieval buildings and fortifications. Stroll leisurely through cobblestone streets (much of the town is car-free) and enjoy this romantic town's… [ + ] More Details
Bamberg, located in Bavaria, sits on the Regnitz River and is one of the few cities in Germany that was not destroyed by World War II bombings. The Old Town of Bamberg is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, primarily because of its authentic medieval… [ + ] More Details
Related: Bamberg Vacation Rentals
Würzburg is a city in the region of Franconia, which lies in the northern tip of Bavaria. Its population is 131,320 as of 2006. Würzburg is mainly known as an administrative center. The city’s largest employers are the Julius-Maximilians-University… [ + ] More Details
Related: Würzburg Vacation Rentals
Ansbach or Anspach (originally Onolzbach) is a town steeped in history located in Bavaria, Germany. Its historical center was spared from destruction during World War II allowing today's visitors to enjoy its wonderful baroque buildings. [ + ] More Details
Related: Ansbach Vacation Rentals
Wildflecken is a municipality in the Bad Kissingen district, at the border of northeastern Bavaria and southern Hesse. In 2005, its population was 3,285. Wildflecken is in the picturesque Rhön hills and nature-park. [ + ] More Details
Related: Wildflecken Vacation Rentals
Feedback, comments, questions?
If you have visited here please share your experiences with our readers on Facebook. Or, if you have other cool trip suggestions and would like to contribute a travel guide here, please drop me an email. We also are encouraging free-lancers, travel guide writers or publishers who have great Germany related content to send us an email and get in touch with us.
Ask a Local for special travel insider tips!
We make it easy for you to post your travel questions and get them answered by local residents and our property owners in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. This way you get unqiue travel tips, personalized to your needs. Just type in your destination in the search box and go to your desired destination guide. From there look for the "Ask a Local" box, type in your question and submit. Typically you'll get 2-3 responses within less than 24 hours.
Download free eBook: 10 Tips on how to Live Like a German during your Germany Vacation!
Register for our free monthly Germany travel newsletter and download as a gift this valuable eBook: "10 Tips on how to Live Like a German during your Germany Vacation" - written by Bettina Kraft, owner of the Live Like a German site.
[ + ] More Details
Add the "Best of Live Like a German" to your web site or blog!
Get the Best of Live Like a German badge, which shows the latest Germany travel tips, popular vacation packages, special trip plans, and a selection of travel guides. It can be integrated easily into your web site or blog.
[ + ] More Details