Categories: Family and Kids, Sports
[ source: Flickr]
In the southern part of Sauerland lies the beautiful reservoir lake Biggesee. Known for the boundless possibilities of water-sports and cycling paths, it also hosts two passenger boats that can take you to and from the hydroelectric dam areas.
Some of the many activities of the Biggesee include swimming, rental boats, rowing (of which there are two rowing clubs) sailing with one sailing school, several yachting clubs with guest moorings, scuba diving (two spots) and one scuba diving school, windsurfing and surf school.
As well as the activities listed above, there are even more!
- Shore paths along both lakes. A full bike tour guide with 20 suggested bike tours between Lake Biggesee and the Rothaar Mountains (bike tours in Attendorn (Attendorn vacation rentals | Attendorn travel guide), Drolshagen (Drolshagen vacation rentals | Drolshagen travel guide), Finnentrop (Finnentrop vacation rentals | Finnentrop travel guide), Kirchhundem (Kirchhundem vacation rentals | Kirchhundem travel guide), Lennestadt (Lennestadt vacation rentals | Lennestadt travel guide), Olpe (Olpe vacation rentals | Olpe travel guide), and Wenden) is available from Walder-Verlag.
- Skatepark Sonderner-Kopf, inline skating training center, shorepaths along both lakes.
- Lister dam, Bigge dam, double-deck bridges, pilgrimage chapel Waldenburg (Waldenburg vacation rentals | Waldenburg travel guide), Waldenburg castle ruin, Southern Sauerland Museum in Attendorn (Attendorn vacation rentals | Attendorn travel guide), Schnellenberg Castle in Attendorn, Atta Cave in Attendorn, Lake Bigge Passenger Lines, St. Clemens Dome in Drolshagen, remains of the city wall in Olpe (Olpe vacation rentals | Olpe travel guide), Korn schnapps distillery in Olpe.
- Marked hiking trails around the lakes, IVV round trail in Olpe, hiking brochure with tours suggested by the Southern Sauerland tourism board.
- Lake night festival with fireworks, dancing parties on board the boats on Lake Bigge, ship procession, sailing regattas and rowing boat races.
[ source: biggesee ]
About this Article
This travel guide has been written by Cynthia Kozak.
Cynthia Kozak is a freelance writer, editor and transcriptionist currently living abroad in her Vario truck. Boundlessly curious, she is an avid traveler always looking forward to the next destination.
Find and book quality Germany Vacation Rentals and Holiday Apartments ...
By State: Aargau, Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Appenzell Innerrhoden, Baden-Wurttemberg, Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Bavaria, Berlin (region), Bern (Canton), Brandenburg, Bremen (region), Burgenland (Austria), Canton of Jura, Canton of Uri, Carinthia (Austria), Fribourg (Canton), Geneva (Canton), Glarus, Graubünden, Hamburg (region), Hesse, Lower Austria, Lower Saxony, Lucerne (Canton), Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Neuchâtel, Nidwalden, North Rhine-Westphalia, Obwalden, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Salzburger Land (Austria), Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Schaffhausen (Canton), Schleswig-Holstein, Schwyz (Canton), Solothurn, St. Gallen (Canton), Styria (Austria), Thurgau, Thuringia, Ticino, Tyrol (Austria), Upper Austria, Valais, Vaud, Vienna (Austria), Voralberg (Austria), Zug (Canton), Zürich (Canton), [ + ] more ...
Location, Map, and Driving Directions
[ view larger map ]
More Germany Travel Related Articles
- Leipzig offers Attractions for Everyone
- Eifel National Park
- The English Garden, Munich’s green oasis with a unique Beer Garden culture
- 10 Most Popular Spa Destinations in Germany
- Churches, chapels and a cloister in Miltenberg
- Travel Writing--Munich
- Knecht Ruprecht
- The-Military Concierge Company's Guide to Oktoberfest
- 10 Popular German Dishes
- Clock Towers In Germany
Nearby Destinations Where You Can Find Nice Germany Vacation Rentals
Siegen is a city in Germany, in the south Westphalian part of North Rhine-Westphalia. It is a Große kreisangehörige Stadt (lit. "Big town belonging to a district", but meaning a town that exercises certain functions usually exercised by the district,… [ + ] More Details
Related: Siegen Vacation Rentals
Hemer is a town in the Märkischer Kreis district, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Hemer is located at the north end of the Sauerland near the Ruhr river. The highest elevation, at 546 metres (1,791 ft), is in the Balver Wald in the south of the… [ + ] More Details
Related: Hemer Vacation Rentals
Altena is a town in the district Märkischer Kreis, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. [ + ] More Details
Related: Altena Vacation Rentals
Arnsberg is a town in the Hochsauerland district, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is the location of the Regierungsbezirk Arnsberg's administration and one of the three local administration offices of the Hochsauerlandkreis. [ + ] More Details
Related: Arnsberg Vacation Rentals
Attendorn is a German town in the Olpe district in North Rhine-Westphalia. As of 2008 it had a population of 24, 801. [ + ] More Details
Related: Attendorn Vacation Rentals
Feedback, comments, questions?
If you have visited here please share your experiences with our readers on Facebook. Or, if you have other cool trip suggestions and would like to contribute a travel guide here, please drop me an email. We also are encouraging free-lancers, travel guide writers or publishers who have great Germany related content to send us an email and get in touch with us.
Ask a Local for special travel insider tips!
We make it easy for you to post your travel questions and get them answered by local residents and our property owners in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. This way you get unqiue travel tips, personalized to your needs. Just type in your destination in the search box and go to your desired destination guide. From there look for the "Ask a Local" box, type in your question and submit. Typically you'll get 2-3 responses within less than 24 hours.
Download free eBook: 10 Tips on how to Live Like a German during your Germany Vacation!
Register for our free monthly Germany travel newsletter and download as a gift this valuable eBook: "10 Tips on how to Live Like a German during your Germany Vacation" - written by Bettina Kraft, owner of the Live Like a German site.
[ + ] More Details
Add the "Best of Live Like a German" to your web site or blog!
Get the Best of Live Like a German badge, which shows the latest Germany travel tips, popular vacation packages, special trip plans, and a selection of travel guides. It can be integrated easily into your web site or blog.
[ + ] More Details