Tips To Prepare For Your Germany Trip
Categories: General Travel Info
[ source: Wikipedia]
For the landlord: Please replace old pillows. Kudos to all landlords that provide Wi-fi; even more helpful is wireless for all other gadgets.
For the traveler:
- Buy a navigation (GPS) prior to leaving and enter all destinations into it before leaving the country. It is so easy and less stressful. We used the Tom Tom and had no problems. Note: turn on the system as soon as you get off the plan so that it is ready for immediate use, and also before you leave for your next destination. Otherwise the signal is sometimes hard to get.
- If you can get a diesel rental car do it. It saved us a lot on gas. Also try to get as small of a car a possible as parking and streets are very small in most towns.
- Buy a few Euros to have when you get off of the plane.
- Try to acquire as much change as possible for parking, toilette use, quick snacks, and groceries.
- Grocery stores do not take credit cards.
- A lot of tours required payments in cash.
- I did not have any problems using my debit card at ATM machines inside banks. (Note they do not give receipts)
- Gas Stations on the freeway did let us use a major credit card.
- Before leaving I purchased and downloaded VPN (virtual private networking) . This provided me a peace of mind knowing any banking I did online was encrypted and safe. I also downloaded this on my phone and other devises so that we could watch internet programs, listen to Pandora, and football games on the nfl.com while overseas. There are other VPN companies, but I choose this one because it had a good rating and it could be used almost anywhere overseas.
- Also slippers are nice to have as most floors are bare.
About this Article
Bettina Kraft likes to write Germany related travel articles on Live Like a German - a site for exploring Germany, to learn more about its culture / language, and to find a great Germany vacation rental or holiday apartment when going on a Germany vacation. Bettina likes to help visitors from all over the world to experience Germany in a different, more personal way, and make it easy for them to do so by providing detailed travel tips and advise.
Find and book quality Germany Vacation Rentals and Holiday Apartments ...
By State: Aargau, Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Appenzell Innerrhoden, Baden-Wurttemberg, Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Bavaria, Berlin (region), Bern (Canton), Brandenburg, Bremen (region), Burgenland (Austria), Canton of Jura, Canton of Uri, Carinthia (Austria), Fribourg (Canton), Geneva (Canton), Glarus, Graubünden, Hamburg (region), Hesse, Lower Austria, Lower Saxony, Lucerne (Canton), Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Neuchâtel, Nidwalden, North Rhine-Westphalia, Obwalden, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Salzburger Land (Austria), Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Schaffhausen (Canton), Schleswig-Holstein, Schwyz (Canton), Solothurn, St. Gallen (Canton), Styria (Austria), Thurgau, Thuringia, Ticino, Tyrol (Austria), Upper Austria, Valais, Vaud, Vienna (Austria), Voralberg (Austria), Zug (Canton), Zürich (Canton), [ + ] more ...
More Germany Travel Related Articles
- Albrechtsburg Castle
- Frankenstein Castle
- Jazz in Quellenpark 2009
- General Vacation Rental Advice
- Where to Find the Best Christmas Markets in Europe
- History and beer brewing in Amberg
- Exploring Weilburg's Castle
- Hot Water Below Brings Pleasures Above in Germany
- Berlin's Inspirational Rooftop Bars and Clubs
- Alpine beauty in Ramsau near Berchtesgaden
Nearby Destinations Where You Can Find Nice Germany Vacation Rentals
Wannsee is a lovely neighborhood in the southeast of Germany’s capital. Surrounded by lakes and rivers, Wannsee offers visitors a relaxing place to "come home" after a full day of sightseeing in downtown Berlin. [ + ] More Details
Related: Berlin-Wannsee Vacation Rentals
Mitte is the first and most central borough of Berlin (Mitte is German for middle). Mitte encompasses Berlin's historic core and is a must-see area for anyone wanting to get to know this German metropolis. Until 2001, Mitte was itself an autonomous district.… [ + ] More Details
Related: Berlin-Mitte Vacation Rentals
In a city rich with diversity and culture, Berlin's Prenzlauer Berg is one of the city's hottest districts. Since Reunification, the neighborhood has been popular among university students, but this popularity has resulted in an increase in property… [ + ] More Details
Berlin is the capital city of Germany, and with a population of 3.4 million within its city limits, it is the country's largest city. It is the second most populous city and the eighth most populous urban area in the European Union. Berlin is a major… [ + ] More Details
Related: Berlin Vacation Rentals
Potsdam has several claims to national and international notability. Until 1918, it was the residence of the Prussian kings. Potsdam is also important due to its architectural and landscape history. Around the city there are a series of interconnected… [ + ] More Details
Related: Potsdam Vacation Rentals
Feedback, comments, questions?
If you have visited here please share your experiences with our readers on Facebook. Or, if you have other cool trip suggestions and would like to contribute a travel guide here, please drop me an email. We also are encouraging free-lancers, travel guide writers or publishers who have great Germany related content to send us an email and get in touch with us.
Ask a Local for special travel insider tips!
We make it easy for you to post your travel questions and get them answered by local residents and our property owners in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. This way you get unqiue travel tips, personalized to your needs. Just type in your destination in the search box and go to your desired destination guide. From there look for the "Ask a Local" box, type in your question and submit. Typically you'll get 2-3 responses within less than 24 hours.
Download free eBook: 10 Tips on how to Live Like a German during your Germany Vacation!
Register for our free monthly Germany travel newsletter and download as a gift this valuable eBook: "10 Tips on how to Live Like a German during your Germany Vacation" - written by Bettina Kraft, owner of the Live Like a German site.
[ + ] More Details
Add the "Best of Live Like a German" to your web site or blog!
Get the Best of Live Like a German badge, which shows the latest Germany travel tips, popular vacation packages, special trip plans, and a selection of travel guides. It can be integrated easily into your web site or blog.
[ + ] More Details